Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise
D = Dangerously Close by Dee J Adams:
I read the first two books in this series near to when they first released. I’d started this book multiple times in the intervening years, but kept setting it aside. The hero was a rock star who used an assumed name to avoid the paparazzi and fans. The heroine had been injured in book one (set two years prior) and spent two months in a coma. She suffered a fall at the start of this book and lost her central vision (she maintained some periphery vision). Since this was only a temporary condition, her blindness always felt like a cheap plot device to allow the hero to “hide” out. He knew he was a complete jerk, but wanted to change. He had been a womanizer and continued to have a poor attitude about the women he’d slept with, whereas he thought the heroine was “not like other girls.” I liked the assistant the heroine and her bff hired, but she wasn’t in the story for long. The obsessed fan plot was lackluster. The h/h often behaved foolishly to further the story which was irksome. There was a lot of humor and I liked the h/h became friends first, but I had major issues with most of the plot. An extremely disappointing read.

G = Walk Away Joe (originally published as The Cowboy Takes a Lady) by Cindy Gerard: The heroine was an ER nurse suffering from burn out and a drinking problem. The hero was a horse trainer with a reputation as a womanizer. She wanted to use him to forget her troubles and was irked when he didn’t play along. The book had a slow start but I enjoyed it once she finally saw him as an actual person with demons of his own and he quit acting as if he had to protect her from himself. They each alternated fighting against their attraction and then for it. One plot “twist” was obvious, but worked despite playing out mostly predictably. The h/h were well-matched. A few uneven parts, but overall a good blend of angst and humor. Though originally published in 1995, this was the last new-to-me book by this author since she is no longer writing.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 5 down, 14 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 15 down, 4 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 15 down, 4 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 4 down, 15 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 18 down, 1 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise: 11 down, 8 to go…