Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge Reply To: The AAR 19 in 2019 Reading Challenge

library addict
Participant

The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise
P = Personal Protection by Julie Miller:
The heroine was an undercover cop tasked with posing as the girlfriend of the hero who was a visiting prince. The traitor in his ranks was obvious. Though I guessed where the author was going from a few subtle clues (that were also easily dismissed by the hero’s internal thoughts) I had hoped to be wrong. The author waited far too long to let the reader in on the big secret which felt like a cheap trick and betrayal of reader trust. I liked the h/h, but I hated the plot twist and *can’t say more because spoilers*. I am more mad thinking about it now than when I first read it. So despite the parts I enjoyed overall this was a very disappointing read.

The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler)
Cavanaugh’s Missing Person by Marie Ferrarella:
The heroine was a detective with missing persons; the hero was a detective with the cold case division. I appreciated that they worked in different departments. The hero was friends with two of the heroine’s brothers. She’d avoided him since he had a reputation as a womanizer. They were brought together when two of their cases overlapped. The hero enjoyed needling the heroine which came off as juvenile. So much of their banter was condescending rather than amusing. I had issues with the hero’s annoying behavior. The heroine could be too judgmental but too often she would apologize when he was being a jerk to her which was frustrating. The mystery was intriguing even if the investigation was questionable. But the ending went off the rails and changed the story from “meh” to one I wanted to throw against a wall. Neither of the main characters should have kept their badge.

• The 20th Century Challenge: 5 down, 14 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: 15 down, 4 to go…
  • The 19 in 19 Phonics Challenge: 15 down, 4 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler) — novellas: 4 down, 15 to go…
  • And The Award Goes To… Challenge: 18 down, 1 to go…
  • The Alphabet Challenge Variation Reprise: 12 down, 7 to go…
  • The Nonchalant Nineteen Challenge (The Whittler): 1 down, 18 to go…