Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum Currently Reading

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve been enjoying mysteries this summer. My favorite has been Lisa Jewell’s I Found You.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

I am re-reading Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials in anticipation of The Book of Dust which is coming out this fall. It’s such a compelling set of books. I’m currently in the middle of The Subtle Knife which is sublime.

Kay
    Participant

I am so excited to be back! To register I had to look on the right side. Then I had to go to my spam folder to get the message and make a new password. I am able to access it using Firefox and Internet Explorer. My Chrome isn’t working right for the AAR website.

My favorite books this summer are When Its Real by Erin Watt and Dating-ish by Penny Reid. For historicals, probably A Lady’s Code of Misconduct. I just finished an older Deborah Simmons gothic book, A Man of Many Talents. Thanks AAR for bringing back the boards.

Kay
    Participant

I cleared out my history on Chrome and AAR is now working on it also. The registration is on the right. I look forward to hearing what everyone’s reading. I love the new edit button.

stl-reader
    Participant

Hi, I had to re-register, so my new name has a hyphen where the underscore used to be. 🙂 Thank you, Dabney, for your perseverance in getting the message boards up and running again. I’ve been fine with the Goodreads group, but it is nice to have regular message boards…

Far and away the best books I’ve read this year are KJ Charles’ A Seditious Affair and A Gentleman’s Position. They’re not
    as current, as An Affair with a Notorious Countess, From Duke Till Dawn (which, BTW, I would rate C+), or A Lady’s Code of Misconduct , but for me, they were so much better… I cannot say enough good things about ASA and AGP. Now, if you don’t care for M/M romances (and in the case of ASA, BDSM), these books will not be your cup of tea.

Can I also take a moment to say I’ve been looking at the cover of the book Invitation to Play, by Zoe Mullins, on the AAR home page, and that cover is so off-putting I cannot imagine reading the book. The woman on the cover looks so uncomfortable–nothing about the cover screams “spontaneous, happy sex” to me.

KristieJ
    Participant

I’ve really been enjoying a series of SciFi romance books A Hunter 4 Hire series by Cynthia Clement. Think SEALS on steroids that crash landed on Earth from another galaxy who were never allowed to get close to women in any sense of the world until they land on Earth and the devices that make this so are neutralized.

I’ve just finished the seventh book and I’m quite impressed. They are a bit on the lite side but that’s exactly what I’ve been in the mood for.

stl-reader
    Participant

I’m in the middle of An Extraordinary Union by Alyssa Cole. Set in the south during the Civil War, it’s the story and romance of two pro-Union agents, one black and one white, attempting to thwart southern war efforts.

It’s an okay read so far, and the Civil War setting is interesting and refreshingly different from my usual Regency London fare. But I regularly get yanked out of the story by the use of modern language. For example, the hero sees Elle’s smile “morph into a grimace of terror.” At another point, one of Susie’s suitors says something bluntly, “the art of subtlety apparently not in his wheelhouse.” Also, the hero, looking at the heroine, notes that “no show girl decked out in sequins and lace had ever been sexier.”

Pretty sure “morph,” the phrase “in one’s wheelhouse,” and this use of “sexier” are anachronistic for this 19th century setting.

Also, there are some minor editing issues, mostly no big deal, but this had me scratching my head: “…If there’s the slightest suspicion I’m from the North, we could be killed. I’ve had some very close calls for far less innocuous things.” Shouldn’t that be far more innocuous?

stl-reader
    Participant

Finished An Extraordinary Union”. Meh.

The book’s strength was in how it reminded us of the plight–the drudgery and despair–of slaves in the South. Those glimpses of what slaves had to endure from day to day were interesting to me.

But the romance didn’t grab me, for some reason. Also, the grammar and other mistakes were too noticeable to ignore. Here are two more to add to my previous post:

“…he smiled and curtsied…” (Yes, that’s the hero who is curtseying to his dance partner.)
    “He’d been tempted to name some exorbitant amount, but that would have ringed false.”

So, okay read for me, due to the setting. Otherwise, nothing special. YMMV

Blackjack
    Participant

I’ve been reading two authors who have not appealed to me in the past. The first is When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James. Here I was very surprisingly pleased to find that I loved it and James’s authorial voice. Now I want to go back and reread other James’s novels to see if this one book was just a fluke. I’ve found in the past Eloisa James to have too modern of a voice for a historical author and the dialogue and plotting seems like fluff. But I may be wrong and am eager to find out.

The other book I’m currently reading is Day of the Duchess from Sarah MacLean. I’m enjoying it but am not finding MacLean an author who appeals to me. For me, she too suffers from a very modern and anachronistic voice. Also, the book has scenes that could have been emotionally devastating but oddly, I feel quite removed from them. Finally, while I like the hero, I find it frustrating that he cannot admit he was wrong to his wife and apologize. He’s had many opportunities and though we can hear some of his internal guilty thoughts, he can’t express them. The entire book feels like a big misunderstanding that continues to go on and on because the main characters cannot talk to each other honestly. This is my second attempt at a Sarah MacLean book but it may be that she’s just not an author for me.

Kay
    Participant

This week I read an online serial from Erin Watts, Tarnished Crown, Sav and Gideon’s story, and part of the Royals series. I think there is still one more segment to go that should be out in August. Fallen Heir comes out at the end of August so maybe its tied in with that release.

I finished Into the Water by Paula Hawkins, author of Girl on the Train. It was similar to Girl on the Train in that none of the characters was likeable and they all had secrets. I’m not as big on psychological thrillers and there were a lot of characters to keep track of, but in the end it was alright.

Blackjack, When Beauty Tamed the Beast is my favorite by E.J and I think I’ve read all of hers. I remember liking Kiss Me Annabelle and Much Ado About You but they are older and IMO fluffier so a lot different from When Beauty … Sometimes her books go on sale before she has a new release. I am looking forward to her new one, Wilde in Love, after reading the blurb. I liked Seven Minutes in Heaven , her recent release, more than other readers. I lot of reviewers didn’t like the H. I thought Day of the Duchess by MacLean was a giant soap opera. The constant obstacles that prevented the lead characters from discussing the big misunderstanding got annoying. When I read it, I didn’t notice that the husband never apologized but now that you mention it, more grovelling said out loud would have been nice to see.

Blackjack
    Participant

@kay – Thanks for the EJ recommendations!

I agree with you about Day of the Duchess, which I’m going to try to slog through this weekend to finish it up. It is a huge soap opera. I also am bothered that two people who are madly in love can be so quickly turned against each other based on what other people tell them or by misreading a single action. Far too contrived for melodramatic effect!

Amanda
    Participant

Well, I have belatedly jumped on the Hidden Legacy series bandwagon and absolutely devoured Burn For Me and White Hot this past week (by “week” I mean “2-3 days”). I have just started the final book, Wildfire. I am tempted to try to drag it out a bit because it’s the final book in the trilogy, but like the other two, I cannot put it down! I wouldn’t really consider this series strictly within the romance genre but rather urban fantasy fiction with strong romance elements. There is a central romance with two protagonists, but to me it feels secondary to the overall plot. It’s just absolutely wonderful and I will gush about this trilogy until I’m blue in the face.

I will definitely be reading some more Ilona Andrews (husband/wife team) after this. I’ve heard a lot about the Kate Daniels series but never read it. Will be fixing that!

msaggie
    Participant

@amanda – I loved the Hidden Legacy books too (just wrote a separate post about it on another thread). I wanted to just encourage you to read Ilona Andrews’ the Edge books, which are also alternate world (more of a parallel to our world) and her Kate Daniels books, I also really like the Innkeeper chronicles. If you go to their blog site, they also post snippets and alternate POV – there’s one from Rogan on events in Burn For Me. Enjoy!

Gypsy
    Participant

I am currently reading a comedy…Miss Goody Twoshoes. . Delightful.
    Thanks to Dabney for sorting out my glitches for signing in. I’m back.

nblibgirl

I’m currently reading Harper Fox’s Tyack and Frayne series (thanks, BJ for the recent review of the book 9), and enjoying it very much! Makes me want to travel to Cornwall. 🙂
    (this is also a test to see if I can get logged in to the boards here – thanks Dabney!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.