Home Forums After Hours Game of Thrones Season 7 *Spoilers Included* Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

So what are everyone’s thoughts so far on Season 7? I was delighted with the start of Episode 1 and Arya’s own version of the Red Wedding and am still reeling from the end of Episode 2 and the losses suffered. I think, so far, it has been a typical season of GoT.

I like what Olenna Tyrell said about Marjery – well loved but dead. Cersei isn’t running an election, she’s a despot. She doesn’t crave popularity but power. I also liked what Jamie said last week – they have no heirs and will therefore have no dynasty. Cersei is too far gone into her own kind of madness to care but it is an excellent point.

Thoughts?

Blackjack
    Participant

Liking it so far! Random thoughts…I’m irked that Jamie is still sticking with Cersei; bring back Brienne and Tormund as their romance potential is fun; lots of interesting power dynamics coming together in single scenes; what the heck was that wolf scene about last night?; and, the battle scene was hopefully chaotic viewing for me. Granted I was doing some essay grading but I had trouble determining just what was going on and to whom. I think though that Theon made the right decision in bailing.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

My son–who is ALL up on Martin’s world–says that many people believe Jamie is Lightbringer and that, as such, he will fulfill the prophecy that says Cersei will die at the hands of her younger brother. I think it’s clear, whether that’s true or not, that Jamie is losing his connection to Cersei. (They never have sex anymore!)

There’s lots of theories about the wolf–that’s Arya’s direwolf all grown up–but the one I like the best was in the NYT review:

And as the showrunners explained in their episode segment, the brief reunion between Arya and Nymeria referred back to the scene between Arya and her father, Ned, in which he envisioned a future for her defined by pretty dresses and marriage to a lord. “That’s not me,” Arya said then. On Sunday she recognized a kindred spirit in Nymeria, who has carved out her own wild life and is no longer inclined to be anyone’s pet. “That’s not you,” she said, as the wolf returned to the forest instead of joining her. Mr. Weiss said: “Arya is not domesticated, and it makes sense that her wolf isn’t either.” I still assume the main point was to introduce Nymeria so she can swoop in to save or help Arya later.

I of course was thrilled to see a sex scene that was ONLY about the woman’s pleasure.

And as much as I loath the Sand Snakes, I’m dreading seeing the mom and daughter in Cersei’s vengeful hands.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What gets to me, at the moment, is Sansa’s continuous undermining of Jon in public. I wouldn’t want her to show blind obedience but she – better than anyone – should know how power dynamics work. Jon and the fabulous Brienne are the only persons she can count on. She was right to remind Jon about the mistakes their father and Robb had made. But to openly question him in front of the others makes no sense. It’s actually the first time that a character’s actions truly irritate me. Well, apart from Theon’s after he meets his father and before Ramsay.

I’m enjoying the show so far. I love how all the pieces come together now. The little showdown between Danerys and Varys was brilliant. Oh, and Missandei and Greyworm……

Blackjack
    Participant

This is amazing and I had to share :)

“The Black Person’s Guide to The Game of Thrones
    http://www.theroot.com/the-black-persons-guide-to-game-of-thrones-1796847562

Maggie Boyd
    Keymaster

That is a funny (and yet strangely apt) way of looking at GoT.

Blackjack
    Participant

I just loved it! And Tyrion is Tiffany Trump = of course! :)

Amanda
    Participant

I have been a little mixed on the season so far, but last night’s episode–WOW. Finally some major action! (Well, I should include Euron Greyjoy in that as well. That episode was also unexpected excitement.) Maybe I just have super high expectations because I think last season might be my favorite overall season of GoT so far. I find the episodes this season so far have long stretches of zzz for me but some incredible scenes thrown in. That scene last week w/ Olenna and Jamie was so good. But I’m pissed about yet another strong female character being killed off. Meh.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

Yesterday’s episode was THE best episode in ages. Maybe the best ever. I am thrilled all the storylines are coalescing. The sword fight with Brienne and Arya was so good. And such an economical storytelling–Sansa saw Arya’s journey in a flash.

Blackjack
    Participant

Very good episode and probably like a lot of viewers, I had divided loyalties. I wanted Bronn to survive and I wanted the dragon to survive too. I don’t think GoT will kill off Jaime (yet!) but I didn’t want him to die last night, or Daenerys for that matter. However, Daenerys has not been my favorite character as her arrogance is annoying. I’m also not interested in a romance between Daenerys and Jon Snow as so many fans seem to be.

Arya has always been my favorite and so I loved her scene with Brienne and was intrigued by all the mystery surrounding the swords and daggers. Not sure yet I fully grasped the import of all of them yet.

Strangely, I really like Littlefinger. He was a favorite character for me on The Wire, one of the best shows ever, and I loved how he transitioned right over to GoT as such a villain. So intrigued to see where his story takes us, but he’s been an amazing survivor in these viper’s nests.

I agree, Amanda, that the Olenna scene with Jaime was pretty spectacular. Diana Rigg is just such a great actress and I’m sad to see her go.

Maggie Boyd
    Keymaster

This season has had good moments for me but I was tired of watching Team Daenerys get their asses kicked. I was so glad to see them have a win last night! I was delighted to see Bron again (waves frantically at television “Hello!!”) and I’m glad he survived and (possibly? Probably??) saved Jamie. I mean technically, they should both drown but this is television so I expect to see them again next week. Vulture had an interesting article which included the question – Will Bron stay loyal to the Lannisters after that epic battle. It’s a good question. Cersei’s super-weapon has been destroyed by the very creature it was meant to kill. Now Dany knows they have it and can take steps to protect her babies. Also, Bron has a good sense of survival, hasn’t been paid for his years of service and has a possible ally in Tyrion. Switching allegiances at this point might be in his best interest.

I really dislike Littlefinger and was delighted to see him a bit frightened of Arya/Bran. He launched this whole mess – leading Jon Arynn to figure out that Cersei’s children weren’t Robert’s, manipulating Ned Stark into the job of The Hand and eliminating him, playing a part in the killing of Rob Stark – and you know what, I don’t mind those men’s deaths. As Cersei said, “When you play the Game of Thrones, you play to win.” But each of those men is the head of an army made up of ordinary folk forced to fight in their wars. And a bunch of people were just burned alive in a war of Littlefinger’s making. So my hope is Arya kills him in a particularly cruel manner. (Note: My feelings toward the fictional character do not extend to the actor. He seems like a very talented practitioner of his craft :-)

I was a bit disappointed that Olena hadn’t hidden the gold. I wanted this weeks episode to start with Jamie realizing that aside from a few gold-leaf painted candlesticks and chairs, the castle had been emptied of everything of value. That would have been so in keeping with her character and such a fitting F-you to the Lannisters. I am sorry to see both Olena and Marjorie gone. If they were the ones facing down Dany I would have less of a vested interest in which side won and would be able to just enjoy watching victories for both.

Overall, I agree with Dabney – this was the best episode in awhile. Definitely of this season.

Blackjack
    Participant

Aiden Gillen who plays “Littlefinger” really is such an awesome actor. Next time I see one of his videos where he does a summary of the season’s events I’ll post it here because they are great. He uses a whiteboard and pointer to demonstrate and he inserts in quick asides some of his thoughts of character demises. GoT has some of the best talent in the business on their show. Littlefinger has been one of the most insidious villains of the series, and I have no doubt he’s going to die spectacularly. I think Arya killing him off would be very fitting.

Maggie Boyd
    Keymaster

Highlights of last nights episode:

The return of the Arya/Sansa relationship. In the books, Arya had been close to Jon and pretty much hated Sansa, nice to see that old habits die hard.
    The scene with Sam and Gilly: So cool that we now know Rhaeger’s marriage had been annulled and that Jon is probably a legitimate heir to the throne.
    The return of Gendry Baratheon: Awesome!
    Bron: Dragons are a deal breaker! Bron has a good instinct for picking the winning side so I will be watching his allegiances closely as we finish out our remaining seasons.

The Low Lights: Damn near everything else.
    Littlefinger: That manipulative, murderous monster! What is he trying to do by opening the gulf between Sansa and Arya? I imagine it’s eliminate Arya as she would stand between him and Sansa but I swear if GoT goes that route I will . . . . well, there’s not much I can do but I sure wish I could do something mean back to them!
    Jon’s brilliant White Walker plan: Snorts, yeah good luck with that! If it had been me, I’d have asked to borrow a dragon. It wouldn’t take long for one of them to burn the heck of out the Night King’s army. Or maybe Davos’s should have tried to steal some of Cersei’s green fire. Something better than what they have going now. And while we are talking of this, Dany flies now (via dragon). Why not put Jon on the back with her and find out the truth for herself?
    Jamie/Tyrion meeting: First, Tyrion needs to get over himself. This is not the time to be soft, when they’ve just won their one and only victory. Two, how did he know Jamie had survived? Where did the miracle message to Bron come from? Seriously, where is this meant to be going other than to give Davos the excuse to rescue Gendry?
    The continued character assassination of Cersei Lannister: Why couldn’t she show some remorse at being wrong about Tyrion? Why does she have to be such a complete and total monster? Yes, the prophecy but really let’s throw some shades of gray at her!
    The baby: Uhm, no. The prophecy said Cersei would have three kids and then be murdered by the little brother. Cersei: Will the king and I have children?
    Maggy: Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.
    Valonqar means little or younger brother so it could be Jamie or Tyrion or really any man who is a younger brother. The prophecy does not say her younger brother, though most are convinced it is Tyrion or Jamie I think Jamie might in either rage or to save her from people’s vengeance. Anyway, why add this “pregnancy”? Just a waste of time, imo.

Definitely not as strong an episode as last weeks.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

Fun thing!

I am putting together a long term contest around Game of Thrones. Anyone who can send me an envelope can enter. Here’s what I’m thinking:

1) We’ll list the top 20 characters on GoT in two tiers. You guess who is alive at the end of the series. The top ten–Starks, Lannisters, Jon Snow, and Daenerys are each worth two points. The second tier is each worth one.
    2) You guess who will rule the Seven Kingdoms at the end of the show. A correct guess gets you 5 points.
    3) You guess how many dragons will be alive at the end of the series. You get a point if you guess correctly.

Everyone who enters will send us an envelope with their predictions and a ten dollar bill. Write on the back of the envelope “GAME OF THRONES.” We’ll save all the envelopes and open them when the series is over. We’ll have a 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place winner.

Entrees must be received before the final season starts.

Interested? Let me know!

Blackjack
    Participant

Last night’s episode felt like a big info-dump as the season rushes toward the end.

I actually never thought that Sansa and Arya hated each other but more that they were sisterly rivals. They were pretty young when the show first started and it wouldn’t surprise me if they unite next season to make a formidable front against Littlefinger. I’m hoping Arya is smart enough to put the pieces together after reading the note left behind for her to discover. Littlefinger is usually a great villain but last night’s treatment of him felt heavy-handed.

Tired of waiting for Jaime to distance himself from Cersei. It should have happened long ago and even if it finally does in the final episodes, it’s too late for me. I don’t care anymore. I’m guessing the pregnancy storyline is one way to keep him tied to her.

Daenerys exceeded arrogance and is now bordering on madness. Now both queens are dabbling in monstrosity. Hopefully another option is there for Iron throne leadership. The modern audience in me wants to propose democracy for governance as monarchies are precarious things.

Bring back more Bronn next season!

The White Walkers have never been my favorite threads but maybe next week’s episode will surprise me.

I too was happy to see the return of Gendry and am looking forward to where his story takes us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.