Home Forums After Hours Game of Thrones Season 7 *Spoilers Included* Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

In the books Arya/Sansa had more between them than sisterly rivalry. In fact, Arya never considered Sansa a rival because Arya disdained the route Sansa had chosen for her life. Last night’s line about Sansa’s need to feel better than others was so spot on to the character Sansa was (is?) in the books or perhaps to say how Arya saw Sansa in the books. Arya also blamed Sansa partially for the death of her friend since Sansa lied to protect Joffrey over the murder of Mycah. Additionally, Sansa told Cersei when the Starks were escaping and Arya knows this. She knows Sansa’s desire to be Joffrey’s queen killed Ned and the others. So that will sit between them and will make the note she found in this weeks episode look even more damning in Arya’s eyes. It’ll be deeply interesting to see where this goes from here.

Blackjack
    Participant

I haven’t read the books and am only responding to the portrayal of the relationship on the TV series. It seems to me that the show has not portrayed the sisters as deeply divided though back in Season 1, they clearly took divergent paths. However, Sansa paid dearly for her loyalty to Joffrey and has grown as a character, and I think is meant to be a sympathetic figure in lots of ways. Will Arya recognize Sansa’s maturity and changes? They haven’t had enough scenes together for me to assess that well I don’t know if it really helps to know what happens in the books too much either because the show seems to have departed from the books in many ways. I’m curious too to see how the show develops their relationship.

Amanda
    Participant

I am so excited to see Gendry back!!!

Maggie Boyd
    Keymaster

I think Sansa has grown through her suffering so it will be interesting to see if Arya can put the past behind her. I certainly don’t dislike Sansa but she doesn’t make my list of people who simply must survive the show :-) I was really impressed with how Maisie Williams played that scene, though. It gave me chills. It was a moment for me that truly brought characters I have known for decades to vivid life but I also just loved how it showed the pain that Arya is still in for all that happened to her as a result of a few people’s grasp for power. She hasn’t forgiven or forgotten. We know that from the start of this season when she reminded us that “The North Remembers.” It will be interesting to see if she can let go over the course of the next seven episodes when we reach our finale.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

And see I find Arya very hard to take. Revenge at all costs is not a successful motto in a world that needs to come together. I hope she and Sansa both survive the show–they’ve both lost so much and are still so young.

Jenna Harper
    Participant

Oohh…a fun group to dish Game of Thrones with!

So, about Jaime. Is anyone else frustrated that Jaime continues to be so in to Cersei? It’s not because Cersei is evil and I want Jaime with someone good (Brienne?!), it’s because that relationship makes Jaime look very stupid. For a very long time, Cersei has not shown to have one single redeeming quality. Nothing about her is lovable or even likeable. So the fact that Jaime continues to bow and scrape to her doesn’t so much speak to some kind of great love he has for her, or even the history that they share. Rather, I think Jaime ends up looking like a simpleton. How anyone could like a person like Cersei is baffling. Each week, I just shake my head at Jaime the Dupe.

Am I really weird for hoping that Gendry and Arya end up together? I’m hoping that once this is all over, Arya is one of the survivors, and that Gendry manages to soften her. She’s this killer assassin and I’m not sure how she finds her way back to a place of peace and non-violence. Her anger runs so deep.

I’m totally shipping Dany and Jon, but dang if Dany and Jorah Mormont didn’t have some serious vibes going on between them. I know that Dany and Jon are related, but I so don’t care. Maybe the fact that we’ve all come to accept Cersei and Jaime’s twincest as somewhat normal, I just can’t get too fussed about a romantic relationship between and aunt and nephew. Isn’t that awful?

Can we make predictions here? I know it says Spoilers but predictions may be another level.

Maggie Boyd
    Keymaster

Feel free to make predictions!

I don’t want Jamie with Cersei, although to be honest in the books he’s portrayed as a bit dim so his staying with her sort of works. She’s always been the brains of the operation but in the show, I like Jamie and hope he figures this thing out. Soon.

I’m fine with Arya as is. Westeross isn’t a democracy and in a place where the Game of the Thrones is played people like Arya and Varys are going to exist. Arya isn’t Baelish; she doesn’t do evil for personal gain. The people she targets are mass murderers, not someone who failed to pass her the salt at the dinner table. I’m hoping she takes an active part in Jon’s government when he’s king – she’s completely loyal to him and perfect for the job! Just imagine her turning her talents to spy work over assassination.

I hope, hope, hope Bron switches sides (he seems to be heading that way) and marries Sansa. He was promised a bride, he deserves one and who is left besides Arya and Sansa? Really this show has been brutal on women.

Gendry. *sigh* Please don’t let him be a sacrificial lamb. A character for me to care about so I cry when he faces that GoT motto “All men must die”.

Blackjack
    Participant

I’m good too with Arya as she is because she has reasons for her vengeance and she is a product of a violent world. I agree too that she is not a villain. She’s not power hungry or cruel for its own sake. I hope Brienne can be a model for her as she continues to mature. I really enjoyed their scene together.

If we’re wishing on romances, I would want Brienne and Tormund. I do not want Jon with Daenrys but that’s because I find Daenrys pretty close to unbearable and getting worse with each episode. Jon deserves better.

Maggie Boyd
    Keymaster

I hadn’t even thought of Brienne and Tormund because the big ship has seemed to be Jamie/Brienne but B and T would be pretty awesome together. I don’t want to get my hopes up though. They haven’t killed any major characters (aside from Olenna and she’s a stretch as major) this season unless one counts Arya’s version of the Red Wedding. I’m trying to keep my attachments low and my hopes lower so that my heart doesn’t break. :-) I’m rooting for Jon, Arya, Tyrion, and the dragons to make it. I have hopes for others :Sansa, Daenrys and Varys, Tormund, Brienne, Bran (only because they’ve killed a bunch of Starks already, damn it!) Grey Worm, Bron,Missaendi, but I’m afraid of the coming episode. They might want to go out with a bang and leave us reeling for a whole year from the death toll.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

Be careful on the internet today if you don’t want to be spoiled! HBO mistakenly leaked the episode and there are spoilers EVERYWHERE.

Jenna Harper
    Participant

My son couldn’t resist and downloaded the leaked episode – he says it was amazing! I won’t let him tell me anything about it, though. (And while I don’t condone his actions, at least we pay full price for HBO all year so he would have seen the episode anyway.)

So…predictions. I predict the following (no spoilers, just my thoughts!):
    1 – Brienne will kill Jaime Lannister. It will kill her to do it, but she’ll have no choice.
    2 – Arya will kill Cersei wearing Jaime’s face.
    3 – Arya and Gendry will end up together.
    4 – Jon and Dany will end up together and become King and Queen of the 7 Kingdoms. Sansa will become Queen in the North

Can’t wait for Sunday :)

Blackjack
    Participant

My predictions, though I’ve been wrong a number of times about this show :)

1- Daenerys and Jon Snow will end up together, though I’m opposed for the record!
    2- Jamie will kill Cersei
    3- We will see the death of a dragon – it has to happen.. The show has been predicting this all season
    4- Sansa will kill Littlefinger

Maggie Boyd
    Keymaster

Jenna: I love the idea of Arya killing Cersei while wearing Jamie’s face. It would be such a cool twist on the prophecy while still giving Arya the satisfaction of killing Cersei.

Blackjack: I like the idea of Sansa killing Littlefinger. It would make a nice closing of the circle to the whole Song of Ice and Fire, with Baelish’s obsession with Cat launching the destruction of house Stark and his Cat replacement, a Stark, finishing him off. What a beautiful justice.

I’m sure we are going to loose a dragon but I don’t want Cersei’s army to do it. I hate for her to have that victory. On the other hand, according to a vision Dany had in the house of undying “”The dragon must have three heads”. That’s always been interpreted as three riders for three dragons, so we’ll see what happens.

I too can’t wait for Sunday :-)

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

I realize the show is pro-incest ;) but Jon and Danny would be gross.

Jenna Harper
    Participant

Yeah, in my head I know that the Jon/Dany thing is a big no-no. But I’m sorry, they are just too appealing as a couple for me. I’ll ignore the incest part :).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.