Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum Great American Read at PBS

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

PBS recently came out with their top 100 Great American Reads and they are doing a series as we vote to get down to number one.
    PBS List of Top 100

Which books would you have liked to see on the list that are not there?
    Which books were you surprised to see on the list?
    Did you find a new book to read from the list?

I would have liked to see more romance. I was surprised by some of the books that were on the list, like Twilight. It seemed like more of a list of pop culture, especially since many of the books on the list were made into movies. I have never read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and might check it out of the library. I wondered about the survey they used to come up with their list. I read somewhere that around 7200 readers were involved.

I haven’t been able to post for a while so I’m glad to be back!

Sandlynn
    Participant

Hmm.

An Ode to the Romance Novel (Feat. Lindsay Ellis) | It’s Lit!

The romance novel has been the subject of intrigue, derision, and shame in literary discourse long before the modern genre as we know it today existed. Romance novels are relegated to your Aunt Muriel’s bathroom, thrift store book sections, and that one aisle in Barnes and Noble that you pretend to walk through because you got “lost” looking for cookbooks. But it deserves a closer look than that – it is after all the highest grossing of all literary genres, out-selling its next nearest competitor twice over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0l5yEY_IlY

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.