Home Forums After Hours Proud Mom Moments

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I am so proud of my oldest son who is a musician who lives in Bangalore, India. He just released his first single. 24K views in just a few days!!!

• Carrie G
      Participant

Wow, Dabney, that’s amazing! I loved it. It was so mesmerizing. The video is beautiful and polished, and the song is intense. Congratulations to your son and you, too. You have reason to be proud.

• Dabney Grinnan
      Keymaster

Carrie, he’s a Buddhist and often raps about using Buddhism to manage your life.

He’s got a great guest appearance in this video where he’s talking about doing just that:

(he starts at the 1:20 mark)

• Carrie G
        Participant

That video is great, too. And I love this about your son! My husband, Will, is Buddhist, following the Tibetan tradition. He’s recently started on the Dharma path with a mentor. Buddhism has had an incredible impact on his life, and therefore mine as well. He’s mentally and emotionally healthier, and less stressed. The skills he’s learning are so helpful.His brother has been Buddhist for years now, and teaches spirituality classes and leads meditation seminars in the Williamsburg VA area. Will really got interested when he and I started going to Dialectic Behavior Therapy (our therapist is also Buddhist, but we didn’t know that going in). DBT has a lot of skills based on Buddhist skills, such as radical acceptance, and has done more to change the way I deal with interpersonal situations than anything else. (Not, as you are aware, I always succeed!) I know that, at least right now, meditation and other Buddhist practices aren’t for me, but there is a sort of trickle-down effect at work here since Will and I do a lot of talking about what he is learning and doing. Combined with DBT, I’ve incorporated skills that have literally changed my life.

• Dabney Grinnan
          Keymaster

Carter’s ultimately goal is to use rap and the flow that comes with rapping combined with Buddhist techniquest to help others manage stress. When he comes home for a month in April, I’d love to have him talk to Will!

• Carrie G
          Participant

I’ll tell Will! I think that would be great. Thank you!

• chrisreader
      Participant

Dabney that’s incredible! Congratulations!

Is Bangalore a major area for music and production in India or did he choose to settle there out of personal choice? I enjoy Bollywood films and music but I confess I have zero knowledge about rap music produced in India and performed by South Asian artists.

I love that the internet allows people from everywhere to get their art out to the world. I feel like that’s was the true intent of the World Wide Web and one of its very best uses.

• Dabney Grinnan
      Keymaster

He moved there for personal choice–he’s not a fan of much American attitudes towards work/life balance nor of our stranger danger society.

• Dabney Grinnan
      Keymaster

This is my husband’s favorite–it’s Carter’s response to the George Floyd murder.

Warning–it’s political.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbL4ybR9v2c&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3BEI70uoPLzFOtOeaUKbcmkwyxRL9Rvd_iphujrV9GyVRvYFuQi3yOe84

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.