Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum Recently Read

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I wrote in Dating-ish too on the Goodreads poll!

Amanda Amanda
    Participant

I was torn about what to vote for Best Romance. White Hot is absolutely one of my favorite books this year, but I consider Ilona Andrews’ books more ‘fiction with romance elements.’ Having said that, White Hot is the most…romance-y of that series. So I can see classifying it as romance. I ended up voting for it since it was genuinely one of my favorites this year and I have become a diehard Ilona Andrews devotee over the past few months. I debated possibly writing in another book (possibly Take the Lead by Alexis Daria because I loved the hero so much and it was so unique?), but I couldn’t make up my mind.

Msaggie msaggie
    Participant

I just read a lovely romance with mild fantasy elements (telekinesis), The Beautiful Ones by Silvia Moreno-Garcia, which was recommended initially by The Book Smugglers. It’s a bit like a regency romance with its rules and stilted manners, but the families (and names) are more reminiscent of aristocratic colonial France. The villain is full of spite but is also pitiful. The hero and heroine are very human in their insecurities, but their journey through love, though at times painful, is very worthwhile to follow. It is beautifully written, and I recommend it highly.

Stl-Reader stl-reader
    Participant

Okay, it’s fall, but I don’t want to start a new thread just for the remainder of 2017…

I’m halfway through Joanna Shupe’s A Daring Arrangement. I hope the second half is better than the first half, because I’m really disappointed with the characters and the plot so far! The heroine is 20 but acts more like she’s 15. The hero, age 30, sees the heroine’s immaturity/impulsiveness/rashness (which almost leads to them both being seriously injured or worse) as “courageous” and “brave.” The “daring arrangement” that drives the novel seems a little wishy-washy (or maybe the word is “clumsy”) in its execution.

It’s been a really tedious read so far, but hopefully the author will turn it around. I really loved her book Baron.

Kay Kay
    Participant

Maybe we can start one that just says Recently Read and skip the seasons:)

I read the new Kristen Ashley, Complicated, about a sheriff in NE and a hairdresser/lounge singer. I would rate it up near the top of her books. I have been reading some anthologies because I am shorter on time and it gets harder to enjoy a novel when I can only read short chunks at a time. No standouts in the anthologies. I read my first John Green book, Turtles all the way Down for book club about a teen learning to manage OCD as well as solve a missing persons mystery. Its a meaty book with lots to discuss.

Stl-Reader stl-reader
    Participant

Okay, so I finished Joanna Shupe’s A Daring Arrangement. Sadly, it remained a hot mess for me right up to the end. If you asked me to grade it, I’d give it a C, I suppose.

I really liked the setting of the book–New York City during the late 19th century. But everything else (the plot, the characters, the writing), I found annoying and boring and unoriginal. YMMV

Kay Kay
    Participant

STL I had to look up what YMMV meant, Your Mileage May Vary. That sounds very fitting.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.