Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum Romance Book Events

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Politics and Prose in Washington D.C. is having a discussion with four romance authors, plus a moderator who’s also a romance author. Woo! Hoo!

Passion and Prose with Mary Burton, Tracey Livesay, Sarah MacLean, and Alisha Rai. Moderated by Diane Gaston.
    http://www.politics-prose.com/event/book/passion-and-prose-romance-panel-sarah-maclean-day-of-duchess-scandal-scoundrel-book-iii

Amanda
    Participant

I attended this event, and it was wonderful!! Alisha Rai in particular is absolutely hilarious and I cannot wait to read Hate To Love You. She’s been on my radar for so long and I just recently read A Gentleman in the Street, which had been rec’d by so many people mostly because the female protagonist is so different–SHE is the billionaire! I like Rai’s voice and was not disappointed. I had already purchased HTLY prior to attending the event (…which I found out about super last minute!) so I awkwardly approached her table with my Kindle just to tell her how much I was looking forward to it and appreciated her contribution to the panel, and she was very sweet.

I also told Tracey Livesay that I had read Love On My Mind last year and absolutely adored it. We gushed about the hero and talked about hero inspiration. I haven’t gotten around to reading the second book in that series yet but I definitely will now! I just felt bad not having a physical copy (given I own it on Kindle). I know some people also buy hard copies, but I just don’t have a lot of spare room and I VERY rarely buy a hard copy of a book if I have the ebook.

I did not wait in Sarah Maclean’s line because it was by far the longest and I haven’t read this new series yet (nor am I very inclined to start it). However, I follow her on twitter and I love her WaPo columns, so was excited to see her on the panel. I do love her Rules of Scoundrels series but it’s been many years since I read any of those books. I did think it was interesting when she explained that with her latest book (Day of the Duchess), she had written over 200 pages before the election, and then afterwards, she scrapped it and started rewriting it because she realized she didn’t like the hero. I got the impression she was one of the biggest draws for attendees?

Mary Burton was the final panelist and I haven’t read any of her books, to my knowledge. I did like hearing her talk about the research that goes into writing her current series, which is romantic suspense, but I don’t really read RS. I know she used to write HR and she mentioned this as well but it was definitely spoken of as something in the past, not something she will write again. I could be wrong. I also felt like her answers were a little awkward at times. There was a moment when she said she felt that romance was “ahead of other genres” re: representation and diversity and it was clear none of the other panelists agreed with her (nor do I). They very politely disagreed and explained that it’s ahead of other genres in terms of self-pub, etc. but has a lot of work to do in terms of representation.

I believe it was recorded and can be viewed online.

Sandlynn
    Participant

I was at the event as well. I just checked Politics and Prose’s youtube channel and I don’t see the video uploaded yet. Will keep an eye open for it.

I was also happy to hear that P&P is starting (or has started) a romance book group. The book they’re doing this month on August 27 is Brenda Jackson’s Forged in Desire, which I don’t own. The next meeting after that is September 10. They’ll be discussing Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh. I just got that book at RT, so I think I’m going to try and read it and go to the September group.

I actually hadn’t intended to buy any books while at this panel, but did anyway. 😉 As a result, I was in line to speak to Sarah MacLean. I wanted to ask her why there hadn’t been another romance panel (or series of romance authors) at the National Book Festival after there had been one two years ago. She said they told her that it wasn’t well enough attended, which I was surprised to hear since I was there and thought there was a sizeable audience. Since she was moderating the panel at the time, Sarah said she felt like it was her fault but then she also mentioned that they didn’t make it easy since the panel was at 7:00 p.m. on a Saturday night, one of the few events late that day — after a full day of events that started in the morning. I have to agree. I’m a huge romance fan, of course, and I was pretty much dragging by that point, and half inclined to go home before the panel. Most of the events of the day ended at about 5:30 or 6:00, having started at about 10:00 a.m.. So, the only things left were the romance panel, a poetry slam — which attracts a lot of local teens — and a panel discussing books adapted to movies/TV. So, many attendees had already headed home at that point.

In contrast, a few years earlier when the festival was still on the National Mall, they had romance authors like Eloisa James, Sandra Brown (who was listed under suspense) and Diana Gabaldon, who many romance readers love, and their events were packed. But, these events were also held during the height of the festival and not in the evening. So, that runs contrary to the argument that romance authors couldn’t fill a room … if the event is held when most of the others are. Of course, it depends on the author and how big the room is.

Sandlynn
    Participant

Ron Charles, the Washington Post’s book critic, was at the Friday romance event at Politics and Prose, and in today’s paper, he wrote an article about it. (He’s also the editor for Sarah MacLean’s column on new romance novels that is published in the paper.)

Stop dissing romance novels already
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/stop-dissing-romance-novels-already/2017/08/07/960e8bda-7abe-11e7-83c7-5bd5460f0d7e_story.html?utm_term=.7ca8cdbafefc

Amanda
    Participant

I don’t think I’ll make it to the August book club meeting, but I will try for September. I’ve been wondering if a romance book club would work around here. I’m terrible at keeping up with book clubs, generally speaking.

nblibgirl

Read with Pride will be held in Seattle on Nov. 3 (for writers) and Nov. 4 (for readers). It’s a small romance book conference (used to be called Gay Romance Northwest but changed name to be more inclusive) and seems to draw lots of writers (who are also readers but . . . ) and support by small publishers. I’ve attended the last couple of years hoping to meet other romance readers who are local and wouldn’t mind getting together to talk books between conferences. Let me know if you are attending and would like to meet. More info can be found here

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

I am very interested in doing that but I need someone to organize it. Any takers?

nblibgirl

I’m happy to organize something if any AAR readers are going to be in town for Read with Pride 2017.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

I meant organize an AAR book club! Sorry!

Amanda
    Participant

There are a lot of upcoming events for DC area romance fans! Politics & Prose has really taken the lead in organizing some great activities for romance fans. I’ve greatly enjoyed the bookclub meetings I’ve been attending (missed November, though).

11/30: “Romance and the Resistance” with Alisha Rai, Alyssa Cole, and Sarah Wendell (SBTB) at the new Politics & Prose location on the Wharf (that huge new development on the waterfront in SW). Info: http://www.politics-prose.com/event/book/romance-and-resistance-romance-panel-alisha-rai-alyssa-cole-and-sarah-wendell-politics

12/10: An Afternoon of Romance w/ several authors. Only info I’ve found is here: https://twitter.com/ArrisMichele/status/929703575646801920

1/14: Alisha Rai will be joining the P&P January book club meeting to discuss her book, WRONG TO NEED YOU.

Blackjack
    Participant

That sounds fun! I went to grad school in DC a number of years ago and used to go to Politics & Prose often but am back on the west coast now. Glad to see they are still there and hosting events like this one.

Sandlynn
    Participant

The latest Politics and Prose romance panel will be held tomorrow night, February 27, at 7:00 p.m. in Washington, D.C. at the store’s main location.

The panel will include Lisa Kleypas – Hello Stranger, Beverly Jenkins – Tempest, Eloisa James – Wilde In Love, and Mia Sosa – Acting On Impulse

https://www.politics-prose.com/event/book/passion-and-prose-romance-panel-lisa-kleypas-hello-stranger-beverly-jenkins-tempest

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.