Home Forums All Things Romance Romance in Other Formats (Movies, TV, Plays….)

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve been following a discussion about rom-com movies, mainly by their fans, on another forum. (Lot of nice recommendations there.) Anyway, someone posted a link to an article by the A.V. Club where their various writers bring up romantic comedy couples who they think would never last as a couple after the credits roll.

What romantic comedy couple shouldn’t have ended up together?
      http://www.avclub.com/live/what-romantic-comedy-couple-shouldnt-have-ended-to-257432/entry/1409

So, what do you think? Are there couples from favorite/popular rom coms who you think shouldn’t have ended up together and would never last? (Just as we sometimes find that to be the case in romance novels.) And/or does that beg the question? Are some people just being pedantic because … HELLO!? Romantic Comedies are not documentaries. They’re a form of entertainment like sci-fi and superhero films, action-adventures, sudsy dramas, etc. in which one needs to suspend some disbelief in order to enjoy them. After all, by definition, comedies require over-the-top, exaggerated characters and situations in order to be comedic, leading to couplings which also might be hard to believe under normal circumstances … or not.

• Sandlynn
      Participant

For those interested, here’s the newest trailer for Outlander, Season 3, beginning on September 10. It’s pretty all encompassing. Stay to the very end. (And, of course, for those of you who haven’t read the third book, Voyager … SPOILERS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy-LVF2rW-w

• Keira Soleore
      Participant

I suppose one of the famous couples wrong for each other is Lydia and Wickham from Pride & Prejudice. I’m watching the 1995 miniseries (like I do every summer) and it certainly brings home the fact that just because two characters have been caught together, they should not be forced to marry. It’s such a standard plot in modern-day historicals. However, this couple shows that even if Lydia is a flirt, she does not deserve Wickham as a husband and have to put up with him her whole life. And I say this when marriage-of-convenience is my favorite trope.

• Blackjack
      Participant

I liked Love Actually, but the one romance that had me shaking my head no involves Hugh Grant again. Here he’s the British PM and after finding himself attracted to his lovely assistant, he decides to have her removed from her job and “redistributed” elsewhere so that he does not have to confront her loveliness every day. Nice for her, huh! Then she writes him a love letter via a Christmas card and he rushes off to declare his love for her too. I don’t like employer/employee romances and wish writers would just stop and think about the ramifications. What do audiences really think about a woman having to give up her job because she’s too attractive for the boss? How is that romantic? Does the romance just elide the real problems in this scenario?

• Sandlynn
      Participant

What a coincidink! They have an “unpopular opinions” thread on a movie message board I frequent, and I just posted the other day how much I didn’t like Love Actually even though I’m huge fan of romantic comedies. I just didn’t find many of the story lines very romantic. I did like the one involving Bill Nighy, because he’s just charming.

Also, despite the fact that I love political satire and laugh as U.S. presidents are skewered on Saturday Night Live and in other media, I was oddly offended by the portrayal of the U.S. president in this movie. I think the character was supposed to be a cross between GW Bush and Bill Clinton. Apparently, they took the least attractive qualities of each and just meshed them together, while having the charisma-challenged Billy Bob Thornton play him and making the U.K. PM a so much more attractive character in comparison. It seemed heavy-handed and mean spirited rather than genuinely satirical.

• Blackjack
      Participant

Yeah, I went to see this movie when it came out and tensions were high in the UK against George Bush’s Iraq policies. And lots of people in the my audience in D.C. were clapping during the scene when Grant puts the “ugly American” in his place. Anti-Bush and anti-Iraq war sentiment was high.

I felt some reluctant charm for Love Actually, but along with Hugh Grant hitting on his young staffer, Colin Firth is hitting on his housekeeper, and Alan Rickman contemplating cheating on his devoted middle-aged wife with a young and sexy assistant, I definitely came away with the message that powerful men and young pretty women in socially inferior positions is supposed to the epitome of romance.

• Sandlynn
      Participant

According to this article, the two actors who were associated with this project are no longer solely attached to it, but I sure hope that changes, and Sam Heughan (Yes! Our Jamie Fraser!) gets to do it on his break. Oddly, I think the character’s name is also Jamie, if I’m reading this correctly.

‘My Oxford Year’ Is Being Made Into A Romance With Melissa Benoist & Sam Heughan, And You Can Start Reading It Now
      https://www.bustle.com/p/my-oxford-year-is-being-made-into-a-romance-with-melissa-benoist-sam-heughan-you-can-start-reading-it-now-5527037

No matter what. This sounds like an interesting romance. Definitely putting it on my list for when it comes out next spring.

• Sandlynn
      Participant

Lookey here. It seems someone has bought the film/TV rights to Helen Hoang’s The Kiss Quotient.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/the-kiss-quotient-pilgrim-media-group-acquires-book-rights-for-film-tv-1202438002/

Oh, and Shonda Rhimes is producing a series for Netflix based on Julia Quinn’s Bridgerton books (among other projects).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/shonda-rhimes-unveils-slate-eight-netflix-series-1128876

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘All Things Romance’ is closed to new topics and replies.