Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The New Site

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 218 total)
  • Author

I still have not been able to start a new topic for discussion. I have to refresh each site I go to AND if I click on a discussion, have to refresh for that individual topic. I’m refreshing A LOT. I wrote to you (Dabney, maybe?) on your “ABOUT AAR”, requesting a reply to make sure you got it. No reply. I suspect you didn’t get my email, just like even though my computer says it’s connecting, my comments mostly to not appear. I’ve tried to start a number of new discussion topics, but no go. From the lack of comments on existing sites, my bet is that I’m not alone. I sure hope that this one goes thru; I’ve about had it with AAR.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

I am working on the refreshing problem.

I’ve recently switched programs for the forums. Let me check the new permissions. It may be that the default is only moderators can start new discussions. I’ll see if that can be changed.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

I think you should be able to start a new topic now.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

One reason many may be having to refresh is that the site is so image heavy. Here’s what the interweb says:

“When you search the Internet and view websites, your computer must allow the pages to load on your computer screen. That can take some time, especially if the websites you are viewing have a lot of images or graphics. As a convenience, your computer will cache those pages in its memory for a short time, so next time you go to the same page, it doesn’t need to reload everything. However, if something has changed on the website, your computer could show you an old version instead. If this happens, you will need to reload or refresh your page in the Browser window to see the new version.”

This is why older computers are having more problems.

Suzanne

Dabney,

I do not have the same problems with other romance blogs, or any other web pages I frequent, and I use multiple “new” computers (home, business, my aged parents’) to access the internet. So, I hate to tell you, Dabney, but it’s AAR (and whatever programs, software it’s using) that is the problem, and not the many who (used to) frequent AAR.

Suzanne

Another issue for AAR’s Keymaster to consider: stop the “pop-up” ads for its site that appear EVERYTIME a user navigates between forums; this annoyance stalls navigating between forums, which are still not real-time-accurate.

Lynda X

Yay! I was FOR THE FIRST TIME (in about five different attempts at various times) able to post an entirely new topic (about Judith Ivory)! Now, if only I didn’t have to refresh everything repeatedly AND repeatedly delete constant and repetitious notices to let you know how this site is, it would be nice. It would be the cherry on a cake if I also didn’t have to retype information when I want to post a comment of my name and email address repeatedly, but it just automatically filled it in, as it used to. Thanks for your help.

JulieR

I wasn’t having the refresh problem when everyone else started complaining about it, but now I am. I have the problem on both a Mac Mini and a MacBook Air, each no more than 2 years old, and both with the latest version of Safari.

I don’t have this problem with any other site, including those that are graphic-heavy.

Blackjack

I have not yet found a way to edit my posts. Is this something we can do now?

Tee

It would be one thing to refresh the site daily, but it’s necessary to refresh each section (and sometimes even each sub section in the case of the message boards). Very frustrating. I agree with Lynda X that this is the only site I frequent where that is the case. I never have to refresh any other site. Could be a good reason why the message boards are so quiet. Too many steps needed in order to make a reply. Truly, I don’t want to be critical because AAR still has good content that I enjoy perusing, even though I rarely interact anymore.

Tee

It would be one thing to refresh the site daily, but it’s necessary to refresh each section (and sometimes even each sub section in the case of the message boards). Very frustrating. I agree with Lynda X that this is the only site I frequent where that is the case. I never have to refresh any other site. Could be a good reason why the message boards are so quiet. Too many steps needed in order to make a reply. Truly, I don’t want to be critical because AAR still has good content that I enjoy perusing, even though I rarely interact anymore.

Mark

I strongly agree with the request to get rid of the pop-ups.
    I also agree that the refresh & other problems are crippling the message boards. I tried to start a new thread on the WWW board yesterday. I didn’t get an error message, but my post was clearly lost. I checked back repeatedly without it showing up. Today, I broke the post into 6 small pieces, and they posted.
    I’m writing this about 45 minutes after that posting. The new thread shows on a refreshed WWW board page, but STILL doesn’t show on a refreshed first-level Message Boards page.
    A post I did a few days ago took MANY HOURS to show up.

Lil

The refreshing problem is really irritating. I’ve never encountered it on any other site.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

I am sorry you are having this problem. I am working on it. Unfortunately, it’s an expensive and slow process. But we are working on it.

Eliza

ProblemS. Not problem, such as…

All of the refreshing on each part of the site.

The difference between time stamps on the main message home page and the individual pages
    themselves, Even the last poster often doesn’t coordinate between main page and the thread.
    IOW a disconnect between the two.

Pop-ups in addition to all of all the refreshing is more than annoying–almost a deal breaker.
    You’re unlikely to improve your expenses by losing viewers and posters on the forum.

Lack of editing ability.

I’ll add a new one: The message boxes with all of the white space make maneuvering yet another task
    taking more time instead of conserving space (like the old board) so the most messages can be viewed
    on a single page. I prefer ease of use and faster maneuvering to appearance. I’ve come here purely
    for content.

I think Mark’s use of the word “crippling” hits it right on the nose, along with his comment about
    it taking hours for a post to show up.

Like others have said, we too have new computers and and don’t have caching problems.
    The problem is the new site. This is the first time I’ve been on in weeks and it’s the
    same ole same ole. I’ve switched to other sites that are far easier to use and just as
    graphic intensive or even more so..

All of the above said, I do send best wishes for getting it straightened out and working well
    for everyone even if I have mostly moved on.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 218 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.