Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The New Site

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 218 total)
  • Author

I used to visit this site all the time before the new message board. I used to be able to read all the posts and reply. Ever since the new board, everything is
    so difficult. I have noticed that not too many people post any more (including myself). Hope you get it figured out.

dick

I’ve been visiting this site pretty regularly since about 2002. I’ve been through several substantive changes in the way the site works. I’m still nostalgic for the site I found when I first visited with step-backs so one could quickly see who was replying to who, with an essay each week to which everyone could respond, with a great number of authors posting and responding. None of those things occur with the site, which is somehow distant in both immediacy and subject. Now one has to search through as many as twelve subject-posts to find a post that one is interested in responding to; now the only indication that a post “might” be new is the time attached to it; now there are so few people posting there’s little to hold one’s interest. I really don’t know what was wrong with either the site of 2002 nor with the site of 2015. But neither change has been good.

Kate

I have to say, I am not having any problems with the pages refreshing. I normally come here every day or so, and the home page is always updated when I open the page. I don’t find any lag in pages opening, or images not displaying. I did find a delay in comments for a bit, but that seems to have been resolved.

I’m sure there’s a lot of hard work in maintaining a site such as this, and working out bugs to keep all of us happy is likely an ongoing deal.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

Thanks, Kate. I too don’t have these problems so it’s really hard to figure out what’s going on. I am currently running a staging site where I try and fix things and see what happens. The forums are a real challenge. They take up bandwidth, are easy to spew spam on, and most of the programs that solve your problems for you are expensive. I’m not sure where we will net out but we are aware of the challenge.

Lil

When I opened this page, the only post on it was Mary’s. When I refreshed the page, there were three more—from dick, Kate and Dabney. I have no idea what’s going on, but I hope it gets solved. These boards used to be interesting, but there’s a limit to the amount of time I have to fuss with them.

Lil

When I opened this page, the only post on it was Mary’s. When I refreshed the page, there were three more—from dick, Kate and Dabney. I have no idea what’s going on, but I hope it gets solved. These boards used to be interesting, but there’s a limit to the amount of time I have to fuss with them.

And when I tried to post this just now, after a long wait I got an error message—Bad Doorway 509

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

I am curious. Does this refreshing (or caching) problem happen only on the message boards for those that are having a problem? And do people on the message boards visit other parts of the site?

Amanda (RichMissTallant)

It happens on the main page and the message boards for me.

Lil

Dabney, it’s intermittent on the opening page. I confess, I’ve been so frustrated with the boards that I haven’t really visited the other parts of the site.

Blackjack

The refreshing is happening on all the pages for me — blogs, review pages, forums. Also, when I click on a thread, I will need to refresh again once the thread pulls up in order to reveal new posts. So, lots and lots of refreshing to view anything. Yesterday, I tried to post about a recently read book and when I hit submit, the post vanished and did not ever reappear. Luckily, I had saved it and was able to resubmit later that day. But I can certainly understand why many readers are choosing to give up rather than persist in trying to post at AAR now.

Suzanne (aka HBO on the old boards)

I am really sad, and sorry, that AAR is having multiple issues. There was a time when AAR was the “go-to” site for romance. It was a TRUSTED site for many reasons, and one that did not diss its readership, regardless of differences in opinion. That, for some reason, changed early this year.

For me, (here in Canada) there is a time delay (as if I were on dial-up internet connection) before the main page of AAR displays fully, and even then more times than not, I have to refresh the main page to receive fresh subject matter.

As to the forums…I miss the interaction that I had with other readers on the old site–even if opinions differed. Time delays in posts showing up are a huge hindrance, as are unnecessary pop-up and reminder buy-links. As a consumer (of anything) I don’t like “in-your-face” advertisement, regardless that AAR’s buy links don’t work in Canada.

It seems to me, though, that the new AAR is only listening/responding to its patrons who praise them. And Telling ONE other long-time AAR fan to stop posting, is over-the-top censorship. IMHO.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

For what it’s worth, I have spent hours researching forums. They’re a challenge which is why there are less and less of them on sites. Many major sites are even getting rid of comments.

And for those who wonder why we redid our site: We didn’t have a choice. The original software was no longer supported and we were in danger of literally having the site die. Redoing the site and importing much of the data from the old site has been both difficult and expensive. But we believe in AAR and we believe it’s worth trying to maintain what we do.

I completely understand if where we are doesn’t work for some. It’s certainly imperfect. It’s our hope that, as we continue to tinker with our new site, we will ultimately have a site that readers love.

Tee

I think it’s great that there are some who are not experiencing problems here. But I bet they’re few and far between, or else the boards would be more active, at least as active as they were prior to the new installation. That is a major sign that many are experiencing difficulties viewing and posting. Because you asked where the problems are, in my case, I don’t even bother with the home page anymore because it always has to be refreshed and everything else chosen following it. Now I go directly to bookmarked forum pages. Each topic within the two sections I visit (Romance and Potpouri) needs to be refreshed in order to get the latest posts. That’s a lot of refreshing. Then the reviews page always needs refreshing. The blog, you never know because it’s not daily (at least I don’t think it is). So I sort of hit and miss that one every couple of days. It must be frustrating on your end of it if you’re not experiening these problems and everyone is complaining. Good luck in sorting it all out.

Kay

Thanks Dabney, for all you and AAR do to create a romance community where readers can come together. I value the reviews, comments and discussions.

Sarah

This is my first visit here since the new site was first unveiled – not because of site issue but because my life got SO busy & complicated that I haven’t had time for anything, including reading or buying new books (it’s been killing me!).

One of the things I use every month is the forthcoming list but I couldn’t find it anywhere until I read this entire thread . Would it be possible to include a really obvious link to it on the front page, perhaps in the blog drop down menu (boxed/in bold at the top of the home page might also work)?

Also, since I am months behind in my book buying, I’d really like to go through the lists for August through November to see what I missed but there doesn’t seem to be a tag or link that pulls them all up & I think that is important to do (& while it looks lovely on the blog & seems to work well – on the one month I looked at- I do miss having the list of months all together so anything that could help create that feel again would be most welcome (it could be something as simple better search term or a side bar on the blog with links to each month).

You might also consider adding things that had their own pages/links on the old site but don’t anymore to the site map & FAQ. It was incredibly frustrating trying to find it! Speaking of the FAQ – any of the questions anyone has about where something is or how something works (like my question about eliminating the covers in the new review lists) should be added to the FAQ. An awful lot of the site isn’t as intuitive as the other iterations were (& yes, I know a lot of this is new software design – it’s driving me NUTS) so adding any helpful hints would be most appreciated!!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 218 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.