Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The New Site

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 218 total)
  • Author

Urg – all sorts of typos & missing words in my comment (sorry!!) & I don’t see a way to edit it. I hope it makes sense.

Elizabeth Williams

I loved the old AAR but I understand the need to update after so many years. I do like the new home page and I love the Steals & Deals feature. The only draw back is the forums . The old forums were much easier to post on and to read and search through the new forums are slow and time consuming . That said I still visit AAR every day keep up the great work.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

We are slowly fixing things. The forums are the hardest because we use a program for them. I’ve looked at other programs and they’re not much better. What specifically could you do on the old forums that you can’t do here?

Also, is the refreshing situation better now? I am hopeful I improved that with a coding change this week.

Mark

The old forums had no problems with long posts. Some of my old posts were multi-page essays. The new forums choke on much more than a paragraph.
    The old forums were always up-to-date/synchronized across all levels.
    The old forums allowed corrections/edits of posts.
    Posts in the old forums always showed up promptly.
    Failures to post in the old forums always produced error messages.
    I don’t know if the refresh situation is better, since I now automatically force a refresh for every AAR page I visit.

Lil

The refreshing problem seems to have been solved so I hope people will come back and start posting again. I am still curious, though. What does “voices” mean?

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

Dunno. How many people are reading posts at this moment? Like I said, forum software is prepacked. I’m changing things when I figure them out. That, I haven’t figured out yet.

HBO

What Mark said!

I also have found that not having the site “bookmarked” on any device has helped, somewhat–so basically whenever I visit this site, I Goggle it. Even then it’s still slow to load, regardless of the browser window I’m using.

That said, I have seen an improvement in the last few weeks.

Eliza

I’ve seen some improvements like posts appearing now…..

I had to refresh this very page to make it match the home page to get the latest update, but sometimes it does update on its own

Any links I’ve posted today have turned into pictures instead of the link itself.

It’s still painfully slow.

Eliza

There has been a drastic change in speed for loading the site for me–first getting to the site at all, and then getting to one of the threads. I don’t know if it is a coincidence or because of the names of posters on the side of the page but I mention it in case it’s helpful. Is it a case of less is more? While it looks nice to see those posters, I’d prefer to just check out the threads themselves–quickly. I’d rather have accurate times and names for the last poster, than the time it takes to load all of the last posters—especially since posting is way down. Thank you.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

That’s not the problem. I wish it were. The problem is that one of the plugins the site uses isn’t working properly and it’s so deeply coded into the site we can’t get rid of it.

Blackjack

Yes, I am finding over the last few days difficulty accessing the site, very slow uploading of threads and messages loss after submitting.

Dabney Grinnan

Is it better now?

Blackjack

Yes, it seems to be :)

Eliza

Dabney — If it’s a key plug-in that causing such excruciating slowness, can you get some money back since it’s unlikely a key function can be changed without starting over?

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

I am working with a new programmer now and we are slowly making progress. While it’s true I am very unhappy with the firm that did the site redo, it’s complicated. The way the information on the original site was set up has been a challenge to work with. Our unwillingness to give up our database has made the new site comprised.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 218 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.