Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The New Site

Viewing 8 posts - 211 through 218 (of 218 total)
  • Author

Sadly, I think I’d rather work with the refreshing of each section than go through the very slow loading of the site. I find that I am visiting the site less frequently because of that, skipping when it doesn’t load in a decent amount of time, then forgetting to go back to recheck it. I don’t consider myself an impatient person, so I wonder how many others who have less endurance are just bypassing it completely.

Dabney

It should be much faster now.

And, we haven’t seen a big drop off in traffic for the rest of the site. The boards have been a challenge.

Dabney

It should be much faster now.

And, we haven’t seen a big drop off in traffic for the rest of the site. The boards have been a challenge.

Tee

Good luck to you. There’s a solution(s) out there.

Dabney Grinnan
    Keymaster

Yes. I just wish they were all free!

Eliza

Dabney said, “I am working with a new programmer now and we are slowly making progress. While it’s true I am very unhappy with the firm that did the site redo, it’s complicated. The way the information on the original site was set up has been a challenge to work with. Our unwillingness to give up our database has made the new site comprised.”

As someone who worked with programming and a much larger, longer used database than this one , something seems very off to me. Put another way, think of the old outdated software on the previous site that was ever so much faster with the very same database! That just blows my mind. And the company I worked for would not have survived with a problem going on this long. We once had a weekend nightmare with our system that meant we might not put out a weekly magazine that week, but we did find a way to make it happen, oh, maybe 20 years ago, Surely technology is better than that now, or perhaps you’re dealing with people not experienced enough with what you need. I can honestly say I’ve never worked with a slower operating system, and we’re talking decades with various systems. The people you have worked with have given you a web site with a database, but not one that works as it should. Surely there’s something in your contracts that should cover that. In any event, having a database is not a valid answer for the slow performance of daily activity on a site, especially since much of daily activity doesn’t involve much of the database. Is the whole entire database being checked for every last post or anything? I think you’re getting a wonky answer. JMO Also, the longer it takes to fix an initially flawed system is unlikely to save you any money. That’s why I asked about your contracts–for your sake.

Finally, if you haven’t seen a drop off in traffic, it’s may be because longtime users of this site are hanging in, no matter how long it takes to load each page. Maybe they’ll continue to hang in but there;s always the risk they won;t someday.

All the above said, I wish you the best in dealing with this.

Dabney Grinnan

Agreed. I’ve never sued anyone in my life, but I am considering suing the firm that designed the redo.

In the mean time, I have begun working with a new provider to redo the site as opposed continuing trying to fix it.

library addict

Still very slow loading for me.

I do like the most recent comments column though. That’s a nice addition.

Viewing 8 posts - 211 through 218 (of 218 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.