Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum The AAR Seventeen in 17 Reading Challenge

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Repeat Replay
    The Shift of the Tide by Jeffe Kennedy:
    I liked that the heroine was selfish and unlikable at times. Much of what we’d learned in the first book of the original series turned out to be not totally accurate. While it’s possible the author had always planned things as such, parts of it came across like she’d changed her mind. With each full-length book in this series I’ve often wished for the hero’s POV and that was true with this book as well. The hero had been an intriguing secondary character in earlier books and, much like the hero in the third book of the previous series, his total devotion to the heroine completely made the romance work. I also enjoyed the brief introduction of his family. The heroine had been tasked with a secret mission which took some unexpected turns. The pacing was slow in spots then the ending felt rushed, but overall an enjoyable read. The author has stated she decided to extend the series rather than try to tie up all of the loose ends in this book, so looking forward to more.

Military Grade Mistletoe by Julie Miller: The teacher heroine and Marine hero had corresponded for a year before he was severely injured. The heroine had a stalker but though she’d reported some incidents to the principal she hadn’t yet involved the police. The suspense plot was run of the mill and the heroine often acted unwisely solely so she’d be in danger for plot purposes. The hero was suffering from PTSD but—miracle of miracles—was getting professional counseling. After an inauspicious start their romance ultimately worked for me.

• Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Repeat Replay: 10 down, 7 to go…
    • The 20th Century Challenge: completed!
    • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler): completed!
    • The Breakfast Cereal Challenge: completed!
    • The Cocktail Challenge: completed!
    • Seventeen Magazine(s)! Challenge: completed!
    • The Alphabet Challenge Variation: completed!
    • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Replay: completed!
    • Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Novellas: completed!
    Sandlynn Sandlynn
    Participant

Continuing with the Genre Challenge:

Read a Sports Romance

For this category, I picked up a book from my pile that I obtained as an uncorrected galley, probably at the RT Convention last April. Hooked by Brenda Rothert was published in 2016 as an e-read and is about 215 pages long.

This story, set in modern day Chicago, focuses on a mid-20’s college student who works several jobs to get herself through school, studying business. One of her jobs involves being a maid at an exclusive hotel. That’s where our heroine, Miranda Carr, meets Jake Birch a star player for Chicago’s hockey team. He’s staying in a suite at the hotel for several weeks while his condo is being renovated, and just by chance, Miranda is assigned to clean his rooms. Jake is immediately attracted to Miranda and her disinterest in him as a rich sports star and celebrity is refreshing. As for Miranda, she can’t deny Jake’s good looks and magnetism, but she’s been burned by a former boyfriend who cheated and she’s well aware of Jake’s reputation as a player, in more than one meaning of the word. Despite that, the two do begin to grow closer and peel away all the barriers each has built up to keep from having a relationship. The only problem is, both are not being entirely open about themselves, especially Jake who is estranged from his family and has become unwillingly involved with another woman who won’t take no for an answer.

I enjoyed this story very much. It was a pretty straightforward romance with believable complications, although I found Jake’s unwillingly involvement with the hockey team owner’s daughter a little over the top. Still Jake and Miranda’s growing romance was very sweet. I didn’t quite believe that he wouldn’t have “closed the deal” with Miranda sooner but once Jake and Miranda do make love, their intimacy is very nice. I would give this story a B/B+ and would certainly read this author again.

The Cocktail Challenge – 10 down – complete

Alphabet Challenge – 10 down (A, B, C, G, H, J, K, M, P, & Q) – complete

Genre Challenge – 7 down, 3 to go

Library addict library addict
    Participant

Caught in Amber by Cathy Pegau:
    The heroine was a former addict. The hero was an agent with the colonial mining authority. He wanted to use the heroine’s connection to the planet’s main drug kingpin to rescue his sister. The each had their own agenda but from the first began to care about the other. The character of the hero’s sister was very underdeveloped. The heroine totally made the book. I liked the hero, but it often felt more emphasis was given to the heroine’s prior relationship with the book’s main villain than the romance between the h/h. A lot of page time was dedicated to the setup of their unofficial sting then the ending felt super rushed and a few questions were unresolved. Overall an enjoyable story. I just wish we’d had more page time with the h/h together.

The Fated Stars by Veronica Scott: The hero had been kidnapped four years prior to the start of the story and was being forced to perform as a fortune teller at a low-end carnival. I adored the ex-special forces heroine; her character shined throughout the book. The plot started as a simple rescue op then morphed into something else. There were some intriguing twists and it was nice to have some closure to the overarching plot of the past several books. However there was a subplot introduced in the second half that went nowhere, the conclusion to the main plot ended up being anti-climactic, and there were a few loose ends. An uneven read with likeable characters.

• Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Repeat Replay: 12 down, 5 to go…
    Sandlynn Sandlynn
    Participant

Continuing with the Genre Challenge:

Read a Paranormal Romance

For this category, I was helped by my romance book group. They decided to read Kresley Cole’s A Hunger Like No Other published in 2006 which, to be honest, is not my normal reading preference.

This story is set in our 2006 world but features exclusively other-worldly characters: werewolves, valkyries, vampires, witches, demons, etc. These groups, who have lived among us for centuries, are bitter rivals who, on a regular basis, have major confrontations with each other to determine who is top dog. Despite this, they do form alliances, engage in romantic relationships, and even produce offspring. Speaking of that, our heroine (Emma), a “young” 70 year old half vampire/half valkyrie who lives with her valkyrie “aunts’ in protected seclusion, ends up identified by her fated mate — the King of the Werewolves — while she ventures off on her first, solo trip to discover the story of her parents unusual pairing. Our hero (Lachlain), the werewolf who is hundreds of years old, has been held in torturous captivity by the King of the Vampires for over a century. He escapes when he scents his Queen and proceeds to try and “convince” her to join with him as his fated mate.

I read this book as something very other, very unreal, but many of my book group members were bothered by the hero’s actions in trying to restrain and claim the heroine. He lied, was very forceful, and would not take no for an answer. In this current 2017 climate, with women in real life coming out to reveal sexual assaults and abuse by powerful men, this bothered many of my fellow book group members who were very affected by the headlines we’ve been bombarded with daily. My problems with the book were more about my entertainment preferences. I am not a big fan of these type of over-the-top paranormals, i.e., not just a little witchery or time travel or ESP, but violent confrontations between vampires, wolves, demons, etc. with little interaction with the real world. Not my thing. Plus, I felt a little bit like I was dropped into the middle of the plot. I later learned that there was a novella which preceded this first book. Still, the world building was definitely very good and effective. I think I would give this a B+.

The Cocktail Challenge – 10 down – complete

Alphabet Challenge – 10 down (A, B, C, G, H, J, K, M, P, & Q) – complete

Genre Challenge – 8 down, 2 to go

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Sandlynn  .
    Library addict library addict
    Participant

Cherish Hard by Nalini Singh:
    This was the story of how the hero from Rock Hard’s next youngest brother and sister-in-law met and fell in love. The h/h each had baggage which was dealt with in realistic and not always predictable ways. At times they each allowed their expectations and preconceptions to overshadow things, but then acted like grown-ups and had actual conversations before allowing their relationship to derail. I liked the hero, but it was the heroine who really made the book shine. Overall a fun romance. I know the series will be about T-Rex’s brothers, but I hope we get the story of this heroine’s BFF and the hero’s friend.

Twisted Truths by Rebecca Zanetti: The hero had abandoned the heroine “for her own safety” before the start of this spin-off series and I had looked forward to their reunion romance when I read the other two books. I liked both characters and they eventually addressed his earlier actions, but his my-way-or-the-highway attitude grew old quickly and the heroine remained too passive throughout the story so their romance ultimately fell flat for me. It seemed odd the oh-so-smart hero did not suspect the villains would go after a certain character. The main villain and her cronies remained OTT proverbial mustache-twirlers. While it was nice to have closure after seven books, they were all ultimately too easily dispatched. I enjoyed the interaction between the brothers as well as the short cameos with the brothers from the first series and their spouses. I really enjoyed the secondary romance and wish we’d had much more of it. I also wish we’d had more page time with the heroine’s aunts. There were numerous loose ends to tie up with the story which didn’t always gel with the additional kidnapping plot so parts felt like a lot of build up with little payoff. There were parts I enjoyed, but overall an uneven read.

• Simply Seventeen Challenge (The Whittler) – Repeat Replay: 14 down, 3 to go…
Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.