Home Forums So, I was wondering….. Update on what’s happening at AAR

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

As I’ve said endlessly, AAR depends on three things to pay for itself. (Again, no one is paid at AAR although reviewers get a gift certificate each year as a thank you.)

Amazon affiliate dollars: We make 4% on all sales–except for food which is 1%. This means, when you click through to Amazon from our site, whatever you buy ON THAT VISIT, we get a small cut of. Amazon keeps whittling away at affiliate dollars so despite our readers buying thousands of books and other items a month, our overall take has been slowly dropping. Readers link through and buy Steals and Deals more than any other items.

Advertising: The book covers you see in the left sidebar are ads placed by authors who have faith that AAR readers will consider their works.

Donations. THANK YOU.

As of the end of June, AAR will stop taking ads. It’s a lot of work and, honestly, I just don’t want to do it anymore.

This will cut AAR’s revenue by about a third.

It’s my hope that we will continue to make enough money to stay online despite this.

Again, thanks for all your support!

• Carrie G
      Participant

Thank you for the update, Dabney. I hope more people feel able to make regular donations to make up for the loss from ads. Thank you and all the reviewers for your hard work.

• Dabney Grinnan
        Keymaster

Thanks, Carrie.

I’ve sort of decided that AAR has to have reader support to survive. It really is up to the readers which is good.

• bethwahl
      Participant

Just signed up to become a monthly donor. I was thinking it would help if you made the news of the switch more prominent, so more users know to provide support.

• Dabney Grinnan
        Keymaster

Caz and I are discussing whether or not she could take advertising over so it may be that we continue doing it. If we decide not to, I’ll write a blog post about it.

Thank you for your support!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.