Home Forums The Wild Wild West What a difference six months have made

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Well, the worst happened. It wasn’t just a nightmare and #45 is president. The US is a different place than it was mere months ago and every single day I’m glad I live in Canada. I just hurt more than I can say for all my friends that live in the US.

chris booklover
    Participant

The U.S. is definitely a less appealing place in which to live these days. On the bright side, the Trump Presidency has sparked a wave of political activism that bodes well for progressive causes in the future.

Blackjack
    Participant

One silver lining is that the fear of Europe swinging radically to the right is not panning out as feared after Brexit and Trump’s unexpected election. Trump is making Europe liberal again!

Here in Oregon where I live, our state and other western states are seeking to work independently with the Paris Climate Agreement, and we’re moving forward on single-payer health care. I think the world understands that the majority of Americans are not in support of what has happened here. (I hope so, anyway!!)

Maggie Boyd
    Keymaster

It’ll be interesting to see what happens next. I’m not confident that marches will turn into votes but I sincerely hope they do. So much of what is happening everyday is just terrifying but the people who voted 45 into power seem to be living in some sort of alternate reality. Many of them would vote for him again. That’s just — totally baffling.

Amanda
    Participant

I know we’re talking about the US, but I have been encouraged by the political developments in the UK. I’m a huge fan of Corbyn, and it looks like a lot of young British voters are getting involved in the political process there. I hope to see that continue there and here in the US. I agree with chris booklover that one outcome of 45’s presidency has been political activism. I know people who have never been interested in politics who try to follow what is going on. I just hope people take that to the polls during local elections, as well.

DC is an odd place to live at the moment. It’s not like I see politicians every day, but there’s an energy in the city I haven’t felt before. There are a lot of angry people here, and I don’t use “angry” in a negative way. I find it empowering. There is always some call to action or protest to get involved in. Given we’re disenfranchised in the District, I feel helpless sometimes that I have no representation in Congress. So joining in protests is one way I feel like I can make my voice heard. I’ve also been trying to educate/encourage friends and family who live in other states.

Maggie Boyd
    Keymaster

The democrats were handed yet another defeat tonight when Karen Handler beat Jon Osoff. I don’t think the Dems have learned a thing about campaigning and this proves how strongly the Republicans are holding on to their base. Very depressing.

Blackjack
    Participant

I’m generally not a pessimist but I’ve been quite disappointed with the Democrats since the election, surely a moment in time when change of business as usual was desperately needed. Nancy Pelosi was reelected despite a dismal record of Democratic failures nationwide during her leadership. Then Tom Perez, with very little organizing experience, was elected to lead the DNC and at the same time Keith Ellison was targeted as a radical and a Muslim and voted down. Now the Democrats have lost four special elections. It seems unlikely right now that 2018 congressional races will flip. On the bright side though and to pick up with Amanda’s views on the energy among the people, I have never seen such an energized base. Town halls here in Oregon are overflowing and you can’t get into them. I’ve tried! The anger is off the charts. An energized base is never a bad thing, but at the moment I just don’t know where it will all lead.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.