Home Forums Let’s Talk Romance Forum Why Romance Novels?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi there!
    I want to know why you read romance novels. I also want to ask other questions for a project I am working on. I am also personally curious, as well. I hope someone responds, I would greatly appreciate it.

library addict
    Participant

Because you can read any type of story you want in a romance, mystery, contemporary, scifi, etc and also get a story that focuses on a relationship. Romance is a big umbrella.

library addict
    Participant

Oops, wrong thread.

nblibgirl

This is a pretty open-ended question, and I’m not quite sure what you are looking for. Is there a reason people read memoirs or mysteries or comics beyond “they like them”?
    As @libraryaddict mentions, romance covers a pretty broad range of types of stories but the thing they all have in common is a focus on characters’ “happy ending”. Readers pick up a romance when they want to feel good at the end of the book.

chrisreader
    Participant

I think one reason I was always drawn to them is because they are so female centric and female driven. Maybe it comes back to Virgina Woolf and her writing about what men think are “important” books and that books about women and feelings aren’t -and my annoyance with this attitude.

Romance novels were one kind of literature (unlike the many, many male centric books I read endlessly in school) that were all about women, their feelings, what they liked, their adventures etc. They were (predominantly) written by women and seemed to be written directly by women TO other women saying “Hey, we know MEN look down on these books and certainly wouldn’t DREAM of reading one, so we can say whatever we want to you and make it all about women. This book will be exactly what you dream about or want, or hope to be or have and you don’t have to feel guilty or explain to anyone else why you like it.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.