Heroes or Heroines in these books are in love but their love hasn’t been returned.
(List begun 11/01, updated 06/13)
[fusion_accordion divider_line=”no” class=”” id=””][fusion_toggle title=”Medieval Romances” open=”no”]
- Alinor (1978) by Roberta Gellis (A at AAR)
Ian de Vipont has loved Alinor Lemagne for 17 years.
- By Possession (2000) by Madeline Hunter (B+ at AAR)
Moira Falkner is in love with Addis de Valence.
- His Wicked Promise (2000) by Samantha James (C- at AAR)
Egan MacBain secretly loves Glenda MacKay.
- Knights (1996) by Linda Lael Miller (time travel) (D at AAR)
Megan Saunders (Gloriana) has been in love with Dane St. Gregory since she was a child.
- The Vow (1994) by Mary Spencer
Lady Margot Le Brun is in love with Sir Eric Stavelot.
[/fusion_toggle][fusion_toggle title=”Regency Romances” open=”no”]
- Come Be My Love (1983) by Diana Brown
Alexandra Cox-Neville has loved Darius Wentworth from childhood.
- Lady Lochinvar (1987) by Barbara Hazard
Lady Catherine Cahill fell in love with Lionel Eden, Viscount Benning, when she was 12.
- A Civil Contract (1961) by Georgette Heyer
Jenny Chawleigh loves Adam Deveril, Viscount Lynton, even though he is in love with her best friend.
- Friday’s Child (1944) by Georgette Heyer (A at AAR)
Hero Wantage has adored Anthony, Viscount Sheringham, since childhood.
- Sprig Muslin (1956) by Georgette Heyer
Lady Hester Theale loves Sir Gareth Ludlow.
- Libby’s London Merchant (1991) by Carla Kelly (A at AAR)
Dr. Anthony Cook pines for Libby Ames.
- Miss Milton Speaks Her Mind (1998) by Carla Kelly (A+ at AAR)
Scipio Africanus Butterworth loves Jane Milton.
- The Wedding Journey (2002) by Carla Kelly (B+ at AAR)
Captain Jesse Randall loves Elinore Mason.
- Passing Fancies (1983) by Elizabeth Mansfield (A at AAR)
Simon Sturtevant loves Pippa Wyckfield.
- A Dead Bore (2008) by Sheri Cobb South Vol. 2 (historical mystery) (B at AAR)
John Pickett is infatuated with Julia, Viscountess Fieldhurst.
- In Milady’s Chamber (2006) by Sheri Cobb South Vol. 1 (historical mystery) (B at AAR)
John Pickett is infatuated with Julia, Viscountess Fieldhurst.
- The Weaver Takes a Wife (1999) by Sheri Cobb South (A- at AAR)
Ethan Brundy falls in love at first sight with Lady Helen Radney.
[/fusion_toggle][fusion_toggle title=”European Historical Romances” open=”no”]
- Winter Garden (2000) by Adele Ashworth (A at AAR)
Thomas Blackwood loves Madeline DuMais.
- Dreaming (1994) by Jill Barnett
Letitia Olive Hornsby has loved Richard Lennox, Earl of Downe, from childhood.
- Something Wicked (1997) by Jo Beverley
Lady Elfled Malloren is secretly in love with Fortitude Harleigh Ware.
- As You Desire (1997) by Connie Brockway (A at AAR)
Harry Braxton loves Desdemona Carlisle
- The Ravishing One (2000) by Connie Brockway (A- at AAR)
Fia Merrick has secretly loved Thomas McClairen for years.
- Robert’s Lady (2000) by Nicole Byrd (B- at AAR)
Katryn has been in love with Robert Holt, Viscount Manning, all of her life.
- A Woman of Virtue (2001) by Liz Carlyle (A- at AAR)
David, Viscount Delacourt, loves Cecilia, Countess of Walrafen, née Markham-Sands.
- The Sherbrooke Bride (1992) by Catherine Coulter (A at AAR)
Alexandra Chambers has loved Douglas Sherbrooke, Earl of Northcliffe, since she was 15.
- The Valentine Legacy (1995) by Catherine Coulter
Jessie Warfield has been in love with James Wyndham since she was 14.
- That Scandalous Evening (1998) by Christina Dodd (A+ at AAR)
Jane Higgenbothem has secretly loved Ransom Quincy, Marquess of Blackburn, forever.
- Scoundrel (1996) by Elizabeth Elliott (A at AAR)
Lady Lillian Walters loves Miles Montague, Duke of Remmington.
- Sweet Awakening (1995) by Marjorie Farrell
Lord Giles Whitton loves Lady Clare Dysart.
- Rightfully His (1998) by Tracy Grant (A-/B- at AAR)
Frank Storbridge secretly loves his employer’s daughter, Charlotte de Ribard.
- A Gentleman Never Tells (2012) by Juliana Gray (B+ at AAR)
Lord Roland Penhallow has loved Elizabeth Harewood since they were young.
- And Then He Kissed Her (2007) by Laura Lee Guhrke (A- at AAR)
Emmaline Dove has been in love with her boss Harry, Viscount Marlowe, for five years.
- Guilty Pleasures (2004) by Laura Lee Guhrke (B at AAR)
Daphne Wade is in love with Anthony Courtland, Duke of Tremore.
- The Marriage Bed (2005) by Laura Lee Guhrke (B+ at AAR)
Viola, Viscountess Hammond, loves her husband John, Viscount Hammond.
- Secret Desires of a Gentleman (2008) by Laura Lee Guhrke (A- at AAR)
Phillip Hawthorne, Marquess of Kayne, secretly longs for Maria Martingale.
- The Seduction (1997) by Laura Lee Guhrke
Margaret Van Alden marries Trevor St. James thinking it’s love on both sides only to find out he married for money.
- The Abduction of Julia (2000) by Karen Hawkins (B- at AAR)
Julia Frant is secretly in love with Alec MacLean.
- To Seduce a Sinner (2008) by Elizabeth Hoyt (A- at AAR)
Melisande Fleming has been in love with Jasper Renshaw, Lord Vale, for years.
- Beast (1997) by Judith Ivory (A at AAR)
Charles d’Harcourt is obsessed with Louise Vandermeer.
- Tonight or Never (1997) by Dara Joy (C+ at AAR)
Chloe Heart is secretly in love with John, Viscount Sexton.
- Scandal (2009) by Carolyn Jewel (B+ at AAR)
Gwilym, Earl of Banallt, is obsessed with Mrs. Sophie Evans.
- The Shadow and the Star (1991) by Laura Kinsale (A at AAR)
Leda Etoile falls in love with Samuel Gerard, but he believes he is in love with someone else.
- Against the Odds in Where’s My Hero? (2003) by Lisa Kleypas (B at AAR)
Dr. Jake Linley has secretly loved Lydia Craven for years.
- Love in the Afternoon (2010) by Lisa Kleypas (B at AAR)
Beatrix Hathaway secretly loves Captain Christopher Phelan.
- Scandal in Spring (2006) by Lisa Kleypas (B at AAR)
Matthew Swift has been secretly in love with Daisy Bowman for 7 years.
- A Secret Love (2000) by Stephanie Laurens (B at AAR)
Lady Alathea Morwellan has been attracted to Gabriel Cynster since childhood.
- Rose in Bloom in Scottish Brides (1999) by Stephanie Laurens (B at AAR)
Rose Millicent Mackenzie-Craddock has loved Duncan Macintyre since childhood.
- Bound by Love (1996) by Edith Layton
Della Kensington has loved Jared Bellington, Earl of Alveston, since she was a small girl.
- The Devil’s Love (1998) by Julia London (B-/C at AAR)
Abigail Carrington has loved Michael Ingram, Marquis of Darfield, since they were betrothed many years before.
- The Ruthless Charmer (2000) by Julia London (C+ at AAR)
Lady Claudia Whitney has loved Julian Dane since childhood.
- Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (2010) by Sarah MacLean (B at AAR)
Lady Calpurnia Hartwell loves Gabriel St. John, Marquess of Ralston.
- The Kiss (2008) by Sophia Nash (A- at AAR)
Georgiana Wilde has loved Quinn Fortesque since girlhood.
- Romancing Mr. Bridgerton (2002) by Julia Quinn (B+ at AAR)
Penelope Featherington is in love with Colin Bridgerton.
- The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (2007) by Julia Quinn (B- at AAR)
Miranda Cheever has loved Nigel Bevelstoke, Viscount Turner, since girlhood.
- When He Was Wicked (2004) by Julia Quinn (B at AAR)
Michael Stirling loves Francesca Bridgerton.
- Tapestry (1995) by Karen Ranney (A at AAR)
Laura Ascott Blake has been in love with Dixon Alexander Weston, Earl of Cardiff, since childhood.
- Lady of the Glen (1996) by Jennifer Roberson
Catriona Campbell has been in love with Alasdair “Dair” Og since childhood.
- Lady Gallant (1991) by Suzanne Robinson (Elizabethan) (A at AAR)
Nora Becket loves Christian de Rivers.
- Seducing Mr. Knightly (2012) by Maya Rodale (C at AAR)
Annabelle Swift pines for her employer Derek Knightly.
- The Squire’s Daughter (1994) by Deborah Simmons
Clare Cummings has been in love with Justin St. John since childhood.
- Dark Wager (1997) by Mary Spencer
Lady Clara Harkhams has loved Lucien Bryland since they were betrothed.
- Reckless (2010) by Anne Stuart (A at AAR)
Charlotte Spenser has loved Adrian, Viscount Rohan, for a long time.
- Beguiling the Beauty (2012) by Sherry Thomas (B+ at AAR)
Christian de Montford, Duke of Lexington, has loved Mrs. Venetia Fitzhugh Townsend Easterbrook from afar for 10 years.
- Not Quite a Husband (2009) by Sherry Thomas (A at AAR)
Leonidas Marsden has been in love with Bryony Asquith since childhood.
- Ravishing the Heiress (2012) by Sherry Thomas (B+ at AAR)
Caught in a marriage of convenience, Millicent Graves secretly loves her husband, Earl Fitzhugh.
- Tempting the Bride (2012) by Sherry Thomas (A- at AAR)
David Hillsborough, Viscount Hastings, has been in love with Helena Fitzhugh since they were both 14.
- Once in a Blue Moon (1993) by Penelope Williamson
Jessalyn Letty loves McCady Trelawny
[/fusion_toggle][fusion_toggle title=”American Historical Romances” open=”no”]
- Another Dawn (1985) by Sandra Brown (D- at AAR)
Jake Langston loves Banner Coleman.
- For All the Right Reasons (1991) by Elaine Coffman
Katherine Simon has loved Alex MacKinnon all her life.
- Always to Remember (1996) by Lorraine Heath (A/B- at AAR)
Clayton Holland loves Meg Warner.
- Sweet Lullaby (1987) by Lorraine Heath (A at AAR)
Jake Burnett loves Rebecca Anderson.
- Gone With the Wind (1936) by Margaret Mitchell
Scarlett O’Hara loves Ashley Wilkes
- The Marriage Bed (1996) by Stephanie Mittman
Olivia Williamson loves her husband Spencer Williamson.
- Courting Miss Hattie (1991) by Pamela Morsi
Reed Tyler loves Hattie Colfax.
- The Love Charm (1996) by Pamela Morsi
Armand Sonnier loves Aida Gaudet.
[/fusion_toggle][fusion_toggle title=”Contemporary Romances” open=”no”]
- When a Man Loves a Woman (2000) by Alina Adams (B- at AAR)
Dr. James Elliot has loved his friend Dr. Deborah Brody for twenty years.
- What Price Paradise (2005) by Kathryn Allred
Abby Grayson has been in love with Tate McCullum for a long time.
- Best Friends (3/1987) by Judith Arnold – HAR-189
Samantha loves Lonny Reed.
- Beauty and the Brain (3/1998) by Elizabeth Bevarly – SD-1130 (B/B at AAR)
Rosemary March has a crush on Willis Random.
- The Boyfriend School (1989) by Sarah Bird (A at AAR)
Gus Kubiak has completely made himself over for Gretchen Griner.
- Body Language (6/1998) by Suzanne Brockmann – LS-889 (C- at AAR)
Clint McCade loves Sandy Kirk.
- The Defiant Hero (2001) by Suzanne Brockmann (A- at AAR)
Lt. John “Nils” Nilsson pines for Meg Moore.
- Forever Blue (10/1996) by Suzanne Brockmann – SIM-742 (A at AAR)
Lucy Tait has a long-time crush on Lt. Blue McCoy.
- Kiss and Tell (5/1996) by Suzanne Brockmann – LS-787
Dr. Marshall Devlin loves Leila Hunt.
- Out of Control (2002) by Suzanne Brockmann (A at AAR)
Savannah Van Hopf has adored Ken Karmody since college.
- Over the Edge (2001) by Suzanne Brockmann (A at AAR)
Senior Chief Stan Wolchonok has a thing for Teri Howe.
- Taylor’s Temptation (7/2001) by Suzanne Brockmann – SIM-1087 (B at AAR)
Bobby Taylor loves his best friend’s sister, Colleen Skelly, against his better judgment.
- Pants on Fire (2007) by Meg Cabot (young adult) (B+ at AAR)
Tommy Sullivan has loved Katie Ellison since elementary school.
- Size 12 Is Not Fat (2006) by Meg Cabot (B at AAR)
Heather Wells has been in love with Cooper Cartwright for ages.
- Size 14 Is Not Fat Either (2006) by Meg Cabot (C+ at AAR)
Heather Wells has been in love with Cooper Cartwright for ages.
- Swing (2008) by Opal Carew (B at AAR)
Melissa Wood loves her best friend Shane.
- Virgin River (2007) by Robyn Carr (B+ at AAR)
Jack Sheridan falls in love with Melinda Monroe, even though she is still mourning her husband.
- The Wedding Party (2001) by Robyn Carr (B+ at AAR)
Jake has it bad for his ex-wife, Charlene Dugan.
- Love, Unexpectedly (2010) by Susan Fox (A- at AAR)
Nav Bharani has been in love with his neighbor Kat Fallon for two years.
- Truly, Madly Yours (1999) by Rachel Gibson (B+/C- at AAR)
Nick Allegrezza has been obsessed with Delaney Shaw since childhood.
- Bad Boy (2001) by Olivia Goldsmith
Jonathan Delano loves Tracie Higgins.
- A Place Called Home (2011) by Jo Goodman (B at AAR)
Mitch Baker has been attracted to Thea Wyndham for more than a decade.
- Kiss Your Prince Charming (9/1999) by Jennifer Greene – SD-1245 (B+ at AAR)
Greg Stoner pines for his neighbor Rachel Martin.
- The Best Man (2013) by Kristan Higgins (B+/B at AAR)
Levi Cooper has loved Faith Holland since school days.
- Just One of the Guys (2008) by Kristan Higgins (A/C+ at AAR)
Chastity O’Neil has been in love with Trevor Meade since childhood.
- Somebody to Love (2012) by Kristan Higgins (B at AAR)
James Cahill is enamoured with Parker Welles.
- After the Night (1995) by Linda Howard (B at AAR)
Faith Devlin has loved Gray Rouillard since she was a girl.
- And the Desert Blooms (1/1986) by Iris Johansen
Pandora has loved Philip El Kabbar since childhood.
- The Man From Half Moon Bay (5/1988) by Iris Johansen
Jordan Bandor is obsessed with Sara O’Rourke.
- Return to Santa Flores (4/1984) by Iris Johansen
Jenny Cashman has loved Steve Jason for years.
- Season of Storms (2001) by Susanna Kearsley (C+ at AAR)
Galeazzo D’Ascanio loves Celia Sands.
- Catching Jordan (2011) by Miranda Kenneally (young adult)
Sam Henry loves Jordan Woods.
- Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married (1999) by Marian Keyes (A+ at AAR)
Daniel Watson has it bad for Lucy Sullivan.
- Hot and Bothered (11/1999) by Jo Leigh – HT-756
Lee Phillips wants more than friendship from Trevor Templeton.
- Then She Found Me (1990) by Elinor Lipman
Dwight Willamee loves April Epner.
- Headstrong (2012) by Meg Maguire
Colin Nolan is in love with Libby Prentiss.
- Fair Play (2004) by Deirdre Martin (B+ at AAR)
Michael Dante wants Theresa Falconetti.
- Her Best Friend (4/2010) by Sarah Mayberry – HS-1626
Amy Parker has loved Quinn Whitfield since childhood.
- The Thorn Birds (1977) by Colleen McCullough
Meggie Cleary has loved Father Ralph de Bricassart since childhood.
- Someone to Watch over Me (2003) by Judith McNaught (B at AAR)
Michael Valente loves Leigh Kendall.
- The Garden of Happy Endings (2012) by Barbara O’Neal (Barbara Samuel/Ruth Wind)
Reverend Elsa Montgomery still loves her childhood friend, Father Jack.
- If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend (2005) by Alison Pace (B at AAR)
Ian Rhys-Fitzsimmons loves Jane Laine.
- Quinn’s Need (2011) by SJD Peterson (Male/Male)
Quinn Taylor pines for Lorcan James.
- This Heart of Mine (2002) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (A at AAR)
Molly Summerfield has had a crush on Kevin Tucker since she was a teenager.
- The Way Back (2012) by Carter Quinn (Male/Male) (B at AAR)
Riley Evans pines over Eric.
- Remember the Time (1997) by Annette Reynolds (A at AAR)
Mike Fitzgerald loves Kate Moran Armstrong.
- Dangerous Lover (2007) by Lisa Marie Rice (B+ at AAR)
Jack Prescott has been in love with Caroline Lake since childhood.
- Inter-Office Male (2002) by John Richards (B at AAR)
Walter loves Luna Wolfe from afar.
- The Atonement Child (1997) by Francine Rivers
Joe Guilierno loves Dynah Carey.
- Rising Tides (1998) by Nora Roberts (A/B+ at AAR)
Ethan Quinn has loved Grace Monroe for years.
- Tears of the Moon (2000) by Nora Roberts (A- at AAR)
Brenna O’Toole has had a yen for Shawn Gallagher since she was 14.
- Again (1994) by Kathleen Gilles Seidel (A at AAR)
Alec Cameron falls in love with Jenny Cotton while she’s in another relationship.
- Please Remember This (2002) by Kathleen Gilles Seidel (B- at AAR)
Ned Ravenal falls in love with Tess Lanier before she is ready to love him back.
- Summer’s End (1999) by Kathleen Gilles Seidel (A- at AAR)
Jack Wells loves Amy Legend.
- All He Ever Desired (2012) by Shannon Stacey
Ryan Kowalski has been in love with Lauren Carpenter since college.
- All He Ever Dreamed (2013) by Shannon Stacey (C at AAR)
Katie Davis has been in love with Josh Kowalski for years.
- Led Astray (11/1985) by Erin St. Claire (Sandra Brown)
Cage Hendren loves his brother’s fianceé, Jenny Fletcher.
- Ice Storm (2007) by Anne Stuart (B+ at AAR)
Isobel Lambert loved Killian a long time ago.
- Grace Grows (2012) by Shelle Sumners (A- at AAR)
Tyler Wilke falls in love at first sight with Grace Barnum.
- Whisper (7/2002) by Nancy Warren – HBZ-47 (B at AAR)
Nick Cavallo loves Genna Monroe.
- One Fine Day (1994) by Theresa Weir (Anne Frasier)
Austin Bennett loves his estranged wife Molly.
- What Mattered Most (2007) by Linda Winfree
Detective John O’Reilly has hopelessly loved his partner Beth Cameron for years.
- Miranda Blue Calling (2004) by Michelle Curry Wright (B at AAR)
William “Billy” Wordsworth Steadman loves Miranda Blue.
[/fusion_toggle][fusion_toggle title=”Alternate Reality” open=”no”]
- Bitten (2001) by Kelley Armstrong (A- at AAR)
Clay is completely obsessed with Elena.
- Midnight Bride (2001) by Susan Carroll (B+ at AAR)
Kate Fitzleger has been in love with Val St. Leger all of her life.
- Dark Magic (2000) by Christine Feehan (C- at AAR)
Gregori has wanted Savannah Dubrinsky since before she was born!
- Safe Harbor (2007) by Christine Feehan (C+ at AAR)
Jonas Harrington has been in love with Hannah Drake since they were kids.
- Promised Land (1996) by Cynthia Felice and Connie Willis
Tarleton “Sonny” Tanner has loved Delanna Milleflores since childhood.
- Charlotte’s Web in An Enchanted Season (2007) by Erin McCarthy (A at AAR)
Charlotte and Will are best friends and don’t realize they love each other.
- Summers at Castle Auburn (2001) by Sharon Shinn (A at AAR)
Kent Ouvrelet loves Coriel Halsing.
- Games of Command (2007) by Linnea Sinclair (A- at AAR)
Branden Kel-Paten has been in love with Tasha Sebastian for 12 years.
- Rebels and Lovers (2010) by Linnea Sinclair (B+ at AAR)
Devin Guthrie has secretly loved Makaiden Griggs for years.
This list is currently closed for submissions.