First and foremost, thanks to everyone who entered a ballot. This poll wouldn’t work without the readers’ participation and we are quite grateful that you have shared your top romance picks with AAR. People voted for 4,639 books by 1,296 different authors. And 2,605 of those books appeared on only one ballot.
As you can see by the list, once again Loretta Chase’s Lord of Scoundrels took the top spot. Voters may wonder how it manages to remain #1 in the poll, especially after looking at the thread where readers posted their ballots. Well, even if Lord of Scoundrels wasn’t everyone’s top choice, every number of points adds up.While not #1 on everyone’s ballot, Lord of Scoundrels appeared on over 40 percent of the ballots cast, and it was in the top 10 on 20 percent of all ballots entered. As was the case in 2007, Lord of Scoundrels placed #1 by quite a large margin.
Since the last poll in 2007, 21 new books made the Top 100 list. The author with the most books in the top 100 is Lisa Kleypas with 15 titles. What is also an amazing feat is that 6 of the 21 new romances on the list were written by Lisa Kleypas and have all been published since 2006. It seems that Ms. Kleypas has a hit whether she’s writing historicals or contemporaries. The author with the second most titles is Susan Elizabeth Phillips with 9 books.
Of the new additions to the list, the oldest published is The Last Hellion at number 66 by Loretta Chase from 1998 while the 20 other new titles have all been published since 2006.
As to genres, historical romance made the bulk of the list (with 66 titles), contemporary books numbered 25 and paranormal/futuristic/time travel accounted for the remaining 9 titles.
For the 21 new titles to make the list, 21 titles had to fall and there are some old classics to say farewell. Georgette Heyer lost 2 titles, Frederica from 1965 and Venetia from 1958. Laura London’s The Windflower from 1984 also fell from the list as did Winter Garden by Adele Ashworth from 2000.
Without further ado, here are your new titles and their places on the list:
10. The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley 2009
18. Not Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas 2009
20. The Spymaster’s Lady Joanna Bourne 2008
25. Blue-Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas 2008
34. Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas 2009
49. Private Arrangemants by Sherry Thomas 2008
52. Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas 2007
66. The Last Hellion by Loretta Chase 1998
67. Love in the Afternoon by Lisa Kleypas 2010
68. To Bequile a Beast by Elizabeth Hoyt 2009
73. Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips 2007
75. Seduce Me At Sunrise by Lisa Kleypas 2008
77. A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole 2009
79. What Happens in London by Julia Quinn 2009
92. The Leopard Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt 2009
94. The Duke of Shadows by Meredith Duran 2007
96. Bound by Your Touch by Meredith Duran 2008
97. Angels’ Blood by Nalini Singh 2009
98. Married by Morning by Lisa Kleypas 2010
99. And Then He Kissed Her by Laura Lee Guhrke 2007