Last fall, I wrote a blog post about using tags at AAR, which you can find under the Vox Populi tab on the main website. (Using Tags to Find Books You Love) Everything I said in that post remains true, such as the lack of any kind of systematic purpose to my tags and the caution against using them for academic/statistical/analytical purposes.
If I haven’t fixed any of that, why do an update? Because I’ve added books to existing tags and added new tags altogether, and I want to share them with you!
The tags are sorted here first by category and then by date. The first cluster of tags is the original set, but if you haven’t checked them in a while, check again! I’ve added a lot of books, including books AAR has reviewed since last fall. The second, following the “Added April 2020,” are tags that have been developed since the original blog post.
I hope you find something you love here! And please leave a comment with your thoughts.
- Have you used any tags to look for books, and if so, which ones?
- Did you find a great read using tags?
- What tags should we have?
- Have we forgotten any great books that match a tag – an age gap story, a character who’s a medium, a romance set in the early years of the United States?
Let us know!
~ Caroline Russomanno
Diversity and representation: AoC (author of color), PoC (protagonist is a person of color), male/male romance, f/f romance, LGBTQ+ romance, Tropical Romance Book Club, disability, older couple, older heroine, Muslim, Amish, LDS, Jewish, neuroatypical
Content tags: Christmas romance, tearjerker, funny, dogs, horses, sports romance, hockey romance, addiction, tech romance, virgin hero, dystopian romance, working-class historical, film/tv making, environmentalism
- Added April 2020: Football, reality tv, suffrage, working-class contemp, baseball, adoption, baseball, Viking, rugby, motorcycle club romance, mafia, National Parks
Plot types: troubled relationship/troubled marriage, shipboard romance, road romance, Pygmalion, Jane Austen adaptation, fairy tale, Cinderella, epistolary, Beauty and the Beast, amnesia, Cyrano plot, shipwreck, gothic, unplanned pregnancy, mail-order bride (or groom),
- Added April 2020: Cabin romance, enemies to lovers, childhood friends, childhood sweethearts, age gap, second chance romance, friends to lovers, roommates, age gap, coworkers,
Career and character tags: archaeologist, spy, doctor, nurse, journalist, photographer, actor/actress, law enforcement, artist, Olympian heroine, Olympian, writer, cons and frauds, bakery, veterinarian, royalty, dancer, clergy, thief, thief heroine, designer, STEM heroine, sex worker, immigrant, bodyguard, paleontologist,
- Added April 2020: model, midwife, British navy, wedding planner, athlete, ice skaters, athlete heroine, pilot, firefighter, private investigator, genius, single dad, single mother, writer, teacher, librarian, barbarian,
Countries and Regions: Scotland, Canada, China, Australia, India, Caribbean, France, New Zealand, Mexico, Italy, Eastern Europe, Pakistan, Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, the Philippines, Egypt
- Added April 2020:
- Domestic Regions: Maritime Canada, Western Canada, Southern, Southwest, Appalachia,
- US States: North Carolina, New Mexico, Minnesota, Montana, Colorado, Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Maine, Louisiana, Tennessee, Wyoming,
Time settings: Ancient Egypt, Ancient Rome, Arthurian, The Anarchy Matilda of vs. Stephen, Norman Conquest, 1500s, Tudor, Elizabethan, 1600s, English Civil War, Georgian, Colonial US romance, American Revolution, Napoleonic Wars, American Civil War, Reconstruction Era, Victorian, Gilded Age, 1900s, 1910s, World War I, 1920s, 1930s, World War II, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, Modern Historical (any novel set after World War II but not written at the same time)
- Added April 2020: Dark Ages, 1100s, 1200s, 1300s, 1400s, Young United States era (Revolution to Civil War), Tang Dynasty, Qing Dynasty, Australian Historical Romance, Renaissance Italy